Model Cars Magazine Forum

custom build of progress thread ENDDATE JANUARY 31/09

sdrodder

It's expensive, and pearl is outragous but you can buy just plan metel flake and pearls at your local body paint supply.

It's like $90-$150 for a little bottle of pearl tint but that would be a lifetime supply. Obvously metel flake is less expensive until you get into the micro flakes.

I bought What is Called Pearl Ex from Micheals a Set of like 24 different pearls for under $25. Have used it on many different models in lacquer paints through my airbrush. Also Black Gold sells Pearl powders for like $5 a bottle. Have some of those as well. All of them there is more than enough for quit a few years. If I remember right Black Gold also sells metail flakes as well. You can check them out Here http://www.blackgoldweb.com/

I bought What is Called Pearl Ex from Micheals a Set of like 24 different pearls for under $25. Have used it on many different models in lacquer paints through my airbrush. Also Black Gold sells Pearl powders for like $5 a bottle. Have some of those as well. All of them there is more than enough for quit a few years. If I remember right Black Gold also sells metail flakes as well. You can check them out Here http://www.blackgoldweb.com/

just checked and pearls are $3 and they have others that are $7 called Ice pearls. They are inReady to paint 2 oz. of paint section

Yeah well, I am still battling away with the Starliner, or it's battling with me. I am not real sure any more.

Making progress slowly, it's been a long time since a kit has been giving me this much trouble. Not so much the kit itself but a lot of things that just didn't go well, worked before and not now, survived a cat attack a number of little troublesome problems to many to list. :(

I did get the chassis done, the motor done and installed .. .

Starfinal3.jpg

Back vacuum formed glass which ended up being a lot of trouble, and turned out so-so.

starfinal1.jpg

starfinal2.jpg

starfinal4.jpg

I finally gave up on trying to BMF hose clamps on the firewall end of the heater hoses. They are molded together and there just isn't much room to wrap a BMF strip around them I got one done in about 10 tries and while doing the second it got knocked off.

The rear bumper fits like ######. The grill pushed the fenders out, making a gap around the core support. It's like the body is shrinking :blink:

starfinal5.jpg

I have the windshield, vacuum formed, and hopefully it wont be as much trouble, and some chrome bits to put on the body and I am calling it done.

It came real close to getting mashed up... again... :P:o

Quite franly, it's getting to the point where I don't want to see it on the bench any longer. :blink::huh::lol:

I think I will be building a Ferrari next.

Edited by CAL

That is interesting..

That is what I want to know. Powder or paint?

Hey guys Im still in this kustom build Ive been real buzy though with life responsbilitys and my job... from the looks of every body elses killer builds so far it looks like im way behind I hope to catch up a little this weekend If I can get finnished with some of the never ending honeydoos from the wife ? hahahah more pics to post soon stay tuned...

Bud Ellis Kustoms

Hey guys Im still in this kustom build Ive been real buzy though with life responsbilitys and my job... from the looks of every body elses killer builds so far it looks like im way behind I hope to catch up a little this weekend If I can get finnished with some of the never ending honeydoos from the wife ? hahahah more pics to post soon stay tuned...

Bud Ellis Kustoms

Thank goodness sdrodder put the finish for January 31.

I'm still gathering parts for my F100.

So I'm further behind than you! :(

I'm done...

A special thanks to Bud Ellis for the chrome tree, it would have never happened without his generosity.

It turned out okay. Kind of a typical AMT kit for me. A bunch of little problems.

Stardone3.jpg

Stardone4.jpg

stardone.jpg

stardone2.jpg

It's still setting up, so once it's dry completely I will get some more pix.

Looks great Cal.

Hope you weren't to hard on the kitten (I've forgotten his name).

Gizmo, Nah. He lived. ;)

Thanks, it turned out OK. I tried a few things some worked some didn't. Had a few problems with the kit. It looked like they took the clear parts out of the mold too soon and all the head lamp lenses were oblonged, which made them tricky to get in.

Something isn't quite right with the way the chassis/body alignment. The rear bumper fit the body fine, but when the whole thing was together the bumper didn't fit right. The mirrors gave me fits. I really need to get me one of those third arms it would have been handy.

Plus I made plenty of my own mistakes. I think I rushed it a bit too much. I know the scripts should have been gold. And I even have some gold foil. I did pick up a few new trick though.

The overall kit, was a 60 Starliner Custom, so I don't expect any grief about it not being custom :D was good. Here is a mini-review.

Good detail, good attention to detail, I like the seperate frame, a very well detailed FE block, and looks good overall. The glass I vacuum formed from the kit parts and I don't think I have had better fitting clear parts, except for the noted headlamps.

The bad: Let see what I can remember.

1. The rt side of the body was good and I could ask for more. The parting lines were minimal. However, the lf side had some issues. The parting line wasn't so good on this side of the body. It took a lot more filler to fix. Also the chrome trims were not as defined to begin with so I had to go back and rescribe them. Because the chrome wasn't well defined, which made BMF a challege.

2. The seperate frame I like, but you really do need to box in the top otherwise it doesn't look so good under the hood. It wasn't a big issue, but caused so fit issues later with the frame and floor pan.

3. The Interior good detail but hard to mask and paint all the different colors - even for a stock version it takes some work and creativity.

4. The steering column has no real reference point to glue it in and it's a bit of quess work and trial and error to get it lined up with the firewall and dash.

5. I could have and maybe should have used something else for the fuel line from the pump to the filter. The kit part sticks out like a sore thumb. The Filter is okay and the pump is real good, but the line seems out of scale and or place.

6. No detail on the drums at all. This is fine with stock wheels but becomes an issue with any open spokes.

7. Tail lamps were not all that great.

8. The grill pushed the fenders out and caused alignment issues.

9. Review mirrors really need and should have had pins.

10. I am not sure about the rear bumper fit, but something isn't right.

11. There is a large gap between the body in interior.

I know I missed a bunch, but in the end would I build it again? Yes. I have a stock version on the way, but it will be not right away. I have a bit of AMT syndrom and need to build something else. :huh:

I'm done...

A special thanks to Bud Ellis for the chrome tree, it would have never happened without his generosity.

It turned out okay. Kind of a typical AMT kit for me. A bunch of little problems.

Stardone3.jpg

Im proud of you Cal for sticking with it and getting it done You did a great job on it I just hope my kustom 36 coupe looks half as good as your Starliner when im done

Bud Ellis Kustoms

Edited by kustoms

Stardone3.jpg

Im proud of you Cal for sticking with it and getting it done You did a great job on it I just hope my kustom 36 coupe looks half as good as your Starliner when im done

Bud Ellis Kustoms

Thanks, I am kind of proud of myself in that respect. I been trying to stick with it even when it's not going to well. I already have way to many started but yet unfinished disasters hanging around. I don't need any more.

Plus I found it's a little more motivational to finish one that's not quite perfect than shelve it when it comes to starting or working on the next one. Stalling on a kit and then shelving it seems to stall building in general.

I am sure yours will look at least, probably better, than mine.

Hey Who Cut The Cheeze ???? well gang I went and done it I was hesatent at first to go this far with this build but I couldnt help myself hahahah after about an hour of scribing very carfully with a new # 11 ex-acto blade I got the passenger door off I still need to do the drivers side and make hinges "post how too pics of hinges soon" 4 now just mocked it up for pics stay tuned lots more to come on this killer kustom.....

Bud Ellis Kustoms

DSC01390.jpg

DSC01389.jpg

cal very nice. Love it. Yes it still qualifies as a kustom since the kit was a custom and it looks like the door handels are shave so it dont matter. Kustoms WOW. Love your build. Its so awsome. I realy want to see more. Those rims look at home on your car. The opening doors look flawless. Just wow. I realy want to see more. 84vanagon any certain parts you still need for that truck of yours? let me know

Hey Who Cut The Cheeze ???? well gang I went and done it I was hesatent at first to go this far with this build but I couldnt help myself hahahah after about an hour of scribing very carfully with a new # 11 ex-acto blade I got the passenger door off I still need to do the drivers side and make hinges "post how too pics of hinges soon" 4 now just mocked it up for pics stay tuned lots more to come on this killer kustom.....

Bud Ellis Kustoms

DSC01390.jpg

DSC01389.jpg

Looks good so far.

Florian,

Thanks for the parts offer.

I've got everything pretty much rounded up for it.

Right now I'm trying to decide whether to chop it or not, and what engine to use in it.

I want to keep it all "Ford". The kit flathead is decent and I could use the vintage speed parts from the 50 'vert or the 49 Merc, but I want to go with an ohv engine. I'm thinking the "Y" block from the 56 or 57 Fairlane.

cal very nice. Love it. Yes it still qualifies as a kustom since the kit was a custom and it looks like the door handels are shave so it dont matter. Kustoms WOW. Love your build. Its so awsome. I realy want to see more. Those rims look at home on your car. The opening doors look flawless. Just wow. I realy want to see more. 84vanagon any certain parts you still need for that truck of yours? let me know

Had I known it was going to be radical customs I would have dug out my SuperSpeedster out. :blink:

Okay it's started but just flairs on one side.

PSS.jpg

superspeed.jpg

Edited by CAL

Florian,

Thanks for the parts offer.

I've got everything pretty much rounded up for it.

Right now I'm trying to decide whether to chop it or not, and what engine to use in it.

I want to keep it all "Ford". The kit flathead is decent and I could use the vintage speed parts from the 50 'vert or the 49 Merc, but I want to go with an ohv engine. I'm thinking the "Y" block from the 56 or 57 Fairlane.

It you are going to run a Y block, I would recommend you go with the 56. It has dual carbs, and scoops. A nice set of headers, too.

Edited by Robert81