Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 917K 1970 Le Mans Winner

Gluebomber

You did an excellent job!  Since you asked for constructive criticism,  I think the plug wires should be more red than orange.  Also, the fiberglass intake trumpets are a little too monochromatic.  If you look at images of the real thing, they always look like they have had a brown wash applied to them.  I think the real car had small lights for the roundels on the doors and the rear deck lid too.

Those decals must be fun to apply!

I wouldn't worry about the fit of the rear body work as it was a terrible fit on the real ones too!

Edited by Rasputen

Thanks again for the kind comments.

Brian, I'm comfortable with the color of the plug wires.  The orange is pretty close to what I've seen in color shots of the motor in several references I have.  They do appear to be a bit bright due to the light I used for the pictures and the actual color is toned down a bit in normal light.

Although I've seen the intakes in black I wished I would have set them off a bit more.  Maybe a brown wash is what they need to give a more period-correct tone.  I'll look at that.

Not adding those number lights has bugged me to the point that, although the model is on my shelf, the chrome sprue that contains the lights from the kit is still on my workbench.  I didn't use the kit parts because I thought they were overscale but plan to do something.  Maybe stripping the chrome and painting them aluminum will make them look better.  I definitely agree they need to be added.  Thanks for your feedback.       

I only have the Heller / Union kits which don't even include any light housings.  If you like, you can send me one of the Fujimi parts and I'll shrink it down and cast some out of resin for you.  Just give me an idea of how much smaller they need to be.

Brian, thanks very much for the offer, but after our conversation I took another look at those lights.  After stripping the chrome and painting them aluminum with chrome light faces they didn't look bad at all.  They've now been mounted on the car and I feel much better about it!

Thanks again for your input and offer to cast me some new ones.