Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pickup Toppers/Caps

Hey all,

This is my very forst post, although I have been a member for a little while. You know, busy and stuff. Anyways.

So, I needed to make a few toppers for the trucks I am building for my dad, and I was wondering, is anyone else interested in getting any?? Here are a few images of the quick designs I put together. I only NEED one of these (Topper-3), the rest are just variations on that one. I still need to do another three different than these designs.

Topper-1

Topper-01a.jpg

Topper-2

Topper-02a.jpg

Topper-3

Topper-03a.jpg

Topper-4

Topper-04a.jpg

These will be resin cast, and come in about 4 main parts (Topper, front panel, back panel, liftgate), and then, depending on the version... Side bubble windows (vac-formed) and "glass" (front/side/rear). The utility box version of course will come with the doors, and the interior bays.

I was hoping to make each design for a specific truck kit. But after doing the math... Well, that's alot. Each truck, while in theroy should be pretty much the same... Each kit differs in it's dims. So, I think I will make available a Fit-A-Kit. That version would come in any style I do, and can be fitted to ANY truck within the basic dims. It will have a left/right half thing going. The main body of the topper will be split, as well as the end caps. If you just glued them together, it would be too wide to fit most, so you would need to trim (and angle in at rear) as needed. As well, it will be longer than needed, with any of the feature (bubble windows and such) centered on it's length, and you just need to trim from both sides or just one, or whatever to fit your need.

These are the older style. But I do have most of the design work done for the more modern style as well. I started off with just scratching 4 toppers for my dad (1975 GMC longbox, 1984 GMC longbox, 1994 Ford XL long box, and a 1999 GMC shortbox), and then it just got out of hand. :blink:

So, what are your thoughts on this project?? Ideas, sugestions, rude things to do with myself are all welcome. Don't know if you don't ask. :)

Johnnycrash

Edited by Johnnycrash

The exact one pictured would not fit perfect. Its designed to fit the 67-72 Chevy/GMC long box fleetside. But the Fit-A-Kit version would fit ANY 1/24 or 1/25 kit, be it long or short box, or even stepside. But, the thing with the Fit-A-Kit version is you would need to trim the parts to fit YOUR specific kit. The length could be trimmed, and the width, and rearward taper would be achived by taking wedge shaped sections out of the middle section of the two topper halfs. But, then it would fit for sure. :P

Eventually, I will be doing the more common/popular trucks. And some versions will fit more than one truck. Maybe not 100%. But I am sure many can live with a 97% fit. B) That's better than the current kits.

randx0 - Just the bubble windows, or the complete topper WITH bubble windows??

1977m880 - One version or another will fit those kits. The Fit-A-Kit will fit ANY 1/24(25) truck box. As for price... Some quick math puts them around $15.00 USD - subject to change, of course.. Now, that's for a long box, fleet side, utility version w/ bubble window (not really an option, but for pricing...). Meaning, the most expensive version so far.

Scalefinishes - Again, yes, one version will fit. I need one for that kit as well. Although it will be converted to a 2000 GMC Sierra.

Here are some more modern designs for the 88-98 Chevy/GMC (of course, they will fit other trucks, I'm just a Chevy/GMC guy) and really nice on the 99+ Chevy/GMCs. Note that Topper-7 is a shortbox version, and has some errors in the model. That will be fixed. Ugh!! -5 & -6 are lever top, while -7 is a high-lift version. Again, there will be variations on these; windows, or not, high-lift, or not, and some with just the indent where the window would go. And of course, high-top versions as well. They differ from the high-lift in that the slope or kick-up starts much further forward, and is not just a straight slope. I think you all know what I mean.

Topper-5

Topper-05a.jpg

Topper-6

Topper-06a.jpg

Topper-7

Topper-07a.jpg

Edited by Johnnycrash

well the bubble windows would be a nice appetizer and useful for scratch building my own design but also for vent caps on vans and other seventies custom applications. and if the toppers stayed at 15.00 u.s. I would find a use for a couple eventually.I like the idea of a universal size .

1977m880 - One version or another will fit those kits. The Fit-A-Kit will fit ANY 1/24(25) truck box. As for price... Some quick math puts them around $15.00 USD - subject to change, of course.. Now, that's for a long box, fleet side, utility version w/ bubble window (not really an option, but for pricing...). Meaning, the most expensive version so far.

Scalefinishes - Again, yes, one version will fit. I need one for that kit as well. Although it will be converted to a 2000 GMC Sierra.

Here are some more modern designs for the 88-98 Chevy/GMC (of course, they will fit other trucks, I'm just a Chevy/GMC guy) and really nice on the 99+ Chevy/GMCs. Note that Topper-7 is a shortbox version, and has some errors in the model. That will be fixed. Ugh!! -5 & -6 are lever top, while -7 is a high-lift version. Again, there will be variations on these; windows, or not, high-lift, or not, and some with just the indent where the window would go. And of course, high-top versions as well. They differ from the high-lift in that the slope or kick-up starts much further forward, and is not just a straight slope. I think you all know what I mean.

Topper-5

Topper-05a.jpg

Topper-6

Topper-06a.jpg

Topper-7

Topper-07a.jpg

If #5 would fit the 89 Silverado longbox, Id be interested. When will they be available and how would I order one?

Ed

randx0 - As for the vent caps and skylights... Better off getting them from Plastruct. Mine will be widder, and longer than a standard vent/light, and of a slightly diferent shape. The one you want is product code SKY-200. That's a 1/2" square, just like the ones on the campers and such. Well, in 1/24 scale. They also have domed and a more peaked, pyramind like variations as well. Download thier catalog, very useful. :blink: And I am really leaning towards the Fit-A-Kit. There are SO many variations of the truck bed in the kits, that making toppers for specific kits would be, well, a real hassle. I mean I would have to make each design, and variation at least 10 times to fit the kits. 7 or 8 designs, with 3 or 4 variations per design, for what?? 20 different kits, in two scale (24 & 25)??? That's way too many kits I would have to master up. The cost would be ridiculous.

62SS - I was hoping to have a basic, plain jane "Sport" topper for the short box 99 Chevy soon. But, another project came up that takes priority. So, instead of a couple of weeks, it's going to be a couple of months. And ordering will be easy, send me money, I send you resin parts. :huh: I will still be working on these, when I need a break from the other thing. But progress will slow. As I move along, I'll let you guys know.

If you have any ideas, or designs or such, please let me know. This is the time for changes to the designs, or new designs. Thanks.

Smokin Models - Yes, it will fit the 99 Siverado kit.

BigBlockLyle - Send on the pictures.

I have many other deisgn completed now. I'll try and get around to posting the renders. I'll need to pick and choose which ones to do first. I would like to get them ALL done, but it's a matter of seed money, or lack thereof.

I have two other designs to do that are giving me no end of grief.

Sounds good John. Ok, here's my pics. The topper is for a fullsize Dodge and I need it to fit the MPC Dodge Fleetside kits. Here we go.

e9557bd1_735477.jpg

d51991e9_1587129.jpg

EDIT: John, here is a pic that shows the peak at the top front of the topper. It doesn't show up in the other 2 pics.

S6301743.jpg

Edited by BigBlockLyle

Not to nit-pick anything, but you forgot the sliding front and side windows.

Well scew you then. Geesh!! :lol:

You'll also notice that all the handles and logos are missing too. No point adding those, the get added to last minute anyways, not part of the master.

Now all I gotta do is build the truck for it. Did somebody say, "A CHALLENGE!"?
Uh?? No.

:lol:

BTW, what would be a rough estimate on the price for these?

Good question. Since this wasn't one of the designs I was going to do, it's a one-off. And well, that means more of a cost. But, I'll run some numbers, and let you know what I can do. Do you need just one?? You should buy two, just in case. :lol:

Ok, run some numbers and tell me what you get. I was thinking of getting more than 2 because I love that topper. It's a shame that it got destroyed in my accident a month and a half ago.

I just thought of another topper design that I saw a while back on google images. It's a 2 or 3 foot long topper that when you take the rear window out of the truck, it turns it into a sleeper.

You can do this if you want to, I'm just throwing it in because I've never seen one done in scale.

11-26-07_1242.jpg

11-26-07_1239.jpg