Model Cars Magazine Forum

:lol::lol::P:blink:

NASCAR...... Nationwide :blink: in the rain.......now repeat what I said and comprehend that....... B) am I seeing it right?

Today at Montreal, it was raining and my dad said NASCAR is racing in the rain, I didn't belive it...it couldn't be..

They weren't going too fast but fast enough for those tanks

It was pouring and the cars actually had windshield wipers and I guess had rain tires, not sure but rain tires, huh? :lol:

At one point I saw these headlights and I seriously thought they had headlights too, I would have freaked

I just can't belive it, they were ACTUALLY racing in the rain....NASCAR...now the road racing guys of course dominated but there were some Nationwide regulars like Carl Edwards and such but didn't do so hot, because they barely know how to drive in the rain, the road race guys, piece of cake for them, all that spray was coming up, they actually didn't do to bad though for racing in the rain....

all I gots to say is FRICKIN FINALLY!!!!

Edited by Nick F40

They have been talking about it in the last few years cause so many race dates get rained out and Nascar & the teams lose money & of course, the fans get upset.

Now that only the drivers side window is the only one open compared to the early cars, the cars are less likey to get 'flooded" out and its easy to install lights & wipers and make rain tires. Seems like a great idea and should make for some very interesting races! It would take some serious guts to drive those heavy cars in the rain wide open!

~ Jeff

That loud noise you might of heard... That was my jaw hitting the floor! Absolutely amazing, and long overdue! Had I known that, I would've watched them race. I would be further surprised if they could make it more than a lap or two without a full course yellow. I would probably watch more nascar if it wasn't anything but lap after lap of following the pace car. Hmm? Why is it that most other series race more, caution less?

Good to hear, thanks Nick,

Greg

Actually the right side window was open on the road cource cars. They were worried it would get into the ignition boxes because they are right on the dashboard. Unfortunatly the track flooded out and they had to call it. It got to the point that the cars were hydroplaning under caution, and the tires just couldn't hold it. They actually had more wrecks under caution then under green in the rain.

Some of the teams opted not to use windsheild wipers which probably hurt them.

I think if they were allowed to use headlights they probably could have done even better then they did, which was pretty darn amazing as it was.

I've been watching NASCAR for 16 years now and that was probably the most historically important race I've ever seen. I wish they would do it all the time! (it was a lot of fun too-my favorite Busch race this decade, possibly ever!)

that was GREAT stuff. the racing was good. the tires did great, they didn't seem to wear at all. it just was raining way too hard at the end of the race for them too continue.

some of the team where not prepared to do this at all. some weren't running wipers or even taillights. like the 60 of Carl Edwards who did'nt even have them, he tried the swiffer thing but that didn't seem to work, you better believe all the cars will have wipers and taillights at the Glen next week. in both Cup and Nationwide. and some sort of defroster system for inside the cars

I think this was a huge success for NASCAR and I would hope they wouldn't hesitate to use them at road courses in the future. I have to build Ron Fellows winning car now, complete with PE wipers

:P Mike, stop copying me!

I would be further surprised if they could make it more than a lap or two without a full course yellow. I would probably watch more nascar if it wasn't anything but lap after lap of following the pace car. Hmm? Why is it that most other series race more, caution less?

Good to hear, thanks Nick,

Greg

me to, thats what really deters me away and they consider aggresive to be a tap :P

because the drivers drive and there isn't such a "celebrity" status that delts with it, so they focus more on driving and not being on stupid commercials

Actually the right side window was open on the road cource cars. They were worried it would get into the ignition boxes because they are right on the dashboard. Unfortunatly the track flooded out and they had to call it. It got to the point that the cars were hydroplaning under caution, and the tires just couldn't hold it. They actually had more wrecks under caution then under green in the rain.

Some of the teams opted not to use windsheild wipers which probably hurt them.

I think if they were allowed to use headlights they probably could have done even better then they did, which was pretty darn amazing as it was.

I've been watching NASCAR for 16 years now and that was probably the most historically important race I've ever seen. I wish they would do it all the time! (it was a lot of fun too-my favorite Busch race this decade, possibly ever!)

I agree, 100%

Yeah I would love to build that model, some ran taillights?

The strategies were greater and the use of things were greater, I loved it and they actually did RACE well to, that's what surprised me, now I don't know if it's the road course guys or what but dang I'm impressed

Wow, I didn't know that some of you agreed and I never thought i'd be saying I was impressed by NASCAR and actually watch it and agree on it :P

Busch series, i'm still calling it that, rules!!!!!

I'm going insane, I think i'm mental! :lol::P:lol:

Edited by Nick F40

I agree that this was a pretty cool race. It's too bad that the course didn't adequate drainage. As it was parts of the track flooded which is what actually caused the race to be called. As someone else commented, there were more accidents under caution than there were under the green flag.

It was also pretty amazing that the tires did as well as they did considering their age. From what I understand they were at least seven years old. Also, the teams only had a few minutes to switch from slicks to rain tires, install wipers and install tail lights. NASCAR then, for some strange reason, took their sweet time getting the cars back out... hoping for the rain to quit I guess.

I'm not sure if they (NASCAR) will do this again though. At least not anytime soon. I think they found out that you really need more than just rain tires and wipers to compete in the rain. That shot of Carl Edwards (I believe) trying to clean his windshield was hilarious. I guess we'll see this weekend at the Glen.

--ron

I agree that this was a pretty cool race. It's too bad that the course didn't adequate drainage. As it was parts of the track flooded which is what actually caused the race to be called. As someone else commented, there were more accidents under caution than there were under the green flag.

It was also pretty amazing that the tires did as well as they did considering their age. From what I understand they were at least seven years old. Also, the teams only had a few minutes to switch from slicks to rain tires, install wipers and install tail lights. NASCAR then, for some strange reason, took their sweet time getting the cars back out... hoping for the rain to quit I guess.

I'm not sure if they (NASCAR) will do this again though. At least not anytime soon. I think they found out that you really need more than just rain tires and wipers to compete in the rain. That shot of Carl Edwards (I believe) trying to clean his windshield was hilarious. I guess we'll see this weekend at the Glen.

--ron

Yeah I certainly wish! :blink: I loved it also and it has me definetly interested. NASCAR just doesn't think things through. :rolleyes:

I totally forgot about that, is it this weekend? Well, the Glen is one of my favorite road courses and the only real reason I like to watch NASCAR, that race, so it should be go and I hope it rains or pours so they can race again! I just love the wipers and tailights! :P

Oh yes, it was Carl and I was cracking up, that was AWSOME, he is definetly my hero after that! :rolleyes:;) See, that shows skill and creativity and excitement which to me NASCAR lacks. Heck, even he said it was fun and he would love to do this again because it was so much fun, he just wishes they would fully develop rain tires.

Edited by Nick F40

I totally forgot about that, is it this weekend? Well, the Glen is one of my favorite road courses and the only real reason I like to watch NASCAR, that race, so it should be go and I hope it rains or pours so they can race again! I just love the wipers and tailights! :lol:

Yeah, I believe the Glen is this weekend. Unless NASCAR get's cold feet over last weekend! :(

From what I'm reading... some of the big wigs in Detroit want to add a few more road courses to the Sprint Cup mix as early as 2010. There's a story on the That's Racin' web site about some changes that Detroit might be wanting to make in NASCAR. It's an interesting read.

--ron

The reason that the Nationwide Series is set up for "Rain Racin'" has to do with their schedule..2 races outside the USofA - Mexico/Canada and the ocassional Japan Race. NASCAR is not planning on doing the same with the Cup Cars. :blink:

Edited by zebm1

The reason that the Nationwide Series is set up for "Rain Racin'" has to do with their schedule..2 races outside the USofA - Mexico/Canada and the ocassional Japan Race. NASCAR is not planning on doing the same with the Cup Cars. :huh:

now, how come you here nothing about that?? ;):unsure:

Did you catch ALMS from Road America today? :unsure:

It's my home track.

Fantastic finish! P1/P2 battle, then after the awesome Audi's settled that, the P2's at it! The GT2 battle rocked too! Other than racing with Aston Martin at Lemans, I've been a fan of David Brabham's since his days with the Panoz squad. Good stuff!

What about the cup race? Poor Jr., boy did he get screwed by his crew chief!

Later,

Greg

Fantastic finish! P1/P2 battle, then after the awesome Audi's settled that, the P2's at it! The GT2 battle rocked too! Other than racing with Aston Martin at Lemans, I've been a fan of David Brabham's since his days with the Panoz squad. Good stuff!

What about the cup race? Poor Jr., boy did he get screwed by his crew chief!

Later,

Greg

Yeah good stuff, although I think the Rolex series is slightly better.

Poor Risi, they just can't get it together.

This will probably be the last year of those good P1/P2 battles as they are saying the are going to FIA rules next year and they won't be as evenly matched.

There was a pretty good Audi team battle going as well.

Yeah good stuff, although I think the Rolex series is slightly better.

Poor Risi, they just can't get it together.

This will probably be the last year of those good P1/P2 battles as they are saying the are going to FIA rules next year and they won't be as evenly matched.

There was a pretty good Audi team battle going as well.

Oh shut up :blink: Risi had won the 24 hour, and with Tafel; Sebring, Saint Pete, Long Beach, and Mid Ohio :blink: so don't give me that ######! :huh: They need to get it together :huh:;)

besides, Farnbacher Loles Racing got the win, well needed, and congrats Westbrook, that brit could drive! the Lizards didn't do too hot they just got lucky, just ahead of Tafel, Lizards, they need to get it together! :o

Well, freakin Melo or Salo I think, was blocking Bell on the straightaway on the last lap which led Westbrook to get the lead and then Salo decides to brake late and spin out, only letting Tafel to catch them! :unsure: I bet that didn't go over too well.

About the FIA, I know I heard of that and am worried as it is close and don't won't it to change but it looks like it won't be as close if FIA does that. The Audi guys were actually competing against each other, rubbing each other into the wall :blink: :blink:

That's cool that it's your home track, very cool track. What do you mean about Rolex series, better over what? I do to, as you know, but just wondering :o

Edited by Nick F40

Oh shut up :blink: Risi had won the 24 hour, and with Tafel; Sebring, Saint Pete, Long Beach, and Mid Ohio :blink: so don't give me that ######! ;) They need to get it together

besides, Farnbacher Loles Racing got the win, well needed, and congrats Westbrook, that brit could drive! the Lizards didn't do too hot they just got lucky, just ahead of Tafel, Lizards, they need to get it together! :blink:

Well, freakin Melo or Salo I think, was blocking Bell on the straightaway on the last lap which led Westbrook to get the lead and then Salo decides to brake late and spin out, only letting Tafel to catch them! :unsure: I bet that didn't go over too well.

About the FIA, I know I heard of that and am worried as it is close and don't won't it to change but it looks like it won't be as close if FIA does that. The Audi guys were actually competing against each other, rubbing each other into the wall :huh::o

That's cool that it's your home track, very cool track. What do you mean about Rolex series, better over what? I do to, as you know, but just wondering :huh:

The LeMans race had gone exactly the way I feared. It was attrition that killed Porsche the odds were 2:1 that Ferrari would win from the start. It's didn't help that one mistake took out 2/3 of the Porsche field.

Who's leading the points? :o Porsche 1 -2 :blink:

The ###### Lizards seem to be slouching a little though, haven't they.

The Audi guys were told to knock if off and if it were to go on any longer the team would put a stop to it.

Yeah it's an awesome track. Turn 5 yeah baby. Probably one of the hardest corners... long straight and down hill into five a 90 degree left and up a pretty big hill into six, which depending on the car is a blind corner.

Over ALMS?

First the ALMS rules, I think, are a little more geared towards the fans, and closer racing, especally between P1 and P2.

There is virtually no competition in GT2 so why bother?

It also seems that team orders, blocking, defending aggresively and tactics that are a little more out of clean fun racing is far more prevailent in ALMS. It seems I see a lot more things in ALMS that make me say, "that was uncool" then in the Rolex series.

Rolex seems to be a little better racing, closer finishes, closer championship. If they go a long time without a yellow it tends to be a runaway race for someone. So the Rolex series is just more interesting and tense to watch.

Plus I perfer coupes (DPs) over the open P1s and P2s. However, Mazda is getting a Lola Coupe here soon.

Edited by CAL

Over ALMS?

First the ALMS rules, I think, are a little more geared towards the fans, and closer racing, especally between P1 and P2.

There is virtually no competition in GT2 so why bother?

It also seems that team orders, blocking, defending aggresively and tactics that are a little more out of clean fun racing is far more prevailent in ALMS. It seems I see a lot more things in ALMS that make me say, "that was uncool" then in the Rolex series.

Rolex seems to be a little better racing, closer finishes, closer championship. If they go a long time without a yellow it tends to be a runaway race for someone. So the Rolex series is just more interesting and tense to watch.

Plus I perfer coupes (DPs) over the open P1s and P2s. However, Mazda is getting a Lola Coupe here soon.

:huh: at the Audi thing

Porsche has been catching luck and Ferrari is the opposite, when they are on their game, they DOMINATE, but when they screw around like they did today...yeah.. ;)

I figured that's what you meant, just makin sure and I never knew you had the same ideas that I did :o I love the Rolex series the most also because it caters more to grassroots and what sports car racing is and it has some good names. I agree though 100%. The rules are like what you said and if you notice at each race it is almost always focused on, especially the cameras, on the P1 and P2 cars, barely mentioning the GT classes. I say uncool alot in ALMS, I said it constantly on the last 5 laps :blink:

Competition, yeah right, like you said none in GT2, which is funny because isn't Ferrari and Porsche the greatest racing battle of all time? so wouldn't you want to showcase and prove that more? I mean look at Sebring 07, that was a heck of a race, personally I though it was the best part and best racing, in the smallest class and "slowest" group. Also that is funny, Porsche and Ferrari are battling it out, not with prototypes, but GT cars! :huh::unsure: At least they counterpart with the factory cars.

And for crying out loud, no competition in P1, two Audi's WOW and in GT1, two Vettes, WOW, oh wait they had an Aston that came in second today, but still three?

I think the Rolex has the best racing compared to Rally and CORR. Closest and the best finishes and championships/battles. It is definetly more interesting and entertaining to watch, keeps me on the edge of my seat, especially the flip of the RX8 at Daytona, not the 24 hour, like you said, tenser.

I used to hate the DP's and thought they were ugly but since I really have become a huge fan and have been watching, they grown on me, still look a little funky, like that Porsche Coyote, but they are fun to watch, more fun than the prototypes, besides, I like the more slower GT cars usually anyway and the GT class is as close to racing street cars as you can get in professional form. Real racing at it's finest!

Can't wait for that Mazda coupe!

GO SPEEDSOURCE!!!

Edited by Nick F40

I am not sure what they are going to do if they bring in FIA rules. Who is Audi going to race? Themselves. Then, like you said, there will be two useless classes.

Rolex has been doing a real good job attracting new teams, car builders, manufactures (Engines) and growing their series.

If they do go to FIA rules they need to attract some more P1 cars and GT1 cars somehow.

Or it may just be a better series to drop P1 and GT1 altogether.

I think it was better when there was GT1 GT2 GT3 and GTR.

Isn't the Ford GTs runing GT1? I know they haven't been that competitive but...

Well I wouldn't say they have dominated.

Risi has had some bad luck. The starter problem earlier this year. They had some other down on their luck stories. Today was just a bone headed and desperate move by their driver. What was he thinking - "um yeah I'll just magically stick like glue here". :unsure:

yeah, a stupid braking error...... :blink:

"I think it was better when there was GT1 GT2 GT3 and GTR." YES YES YES YES YES YES YE.....I will go on. That is what I liked and they had huge interest and people wanting to race. It seem the P2 class is where all the new teams and development goes and there are tons of teams, Audi needs to make that but their heavier R10 will not comply with the P2's lesser weight guidelines. Audi will have no competition unless Peugeot joins in and I don't think they would since they want to focus on their European circuit. They should drop the classes. It would certainly be more interesting and attract more teams which Rolex has over them.

The Ford/Doran GT is in the GT2 class, it was Red Bull but now they switched to Falken and no it hasn't been doing so hot and not dominating but I think this is it's first year so it's a big testing session and really it hasn't and isn't doing TOO bad. ;)

For that matter I would like to see GTP cars again, but I guess everything has to progress. Sometimes it just not in the best direction.

I am sure it will eventually get sorted out.

Accura claims they are going to build a LMP1 car.

I did hear a rumor that Porsche was also looking at a new LMP1 car, but I also heard from a more reliable source that Porsche wasn't going to that until there was more competition. They didn't want to race against Audi because that was essentially racing themselves.

The second thing that would have to happen is they would have to do something about tightening up the gas vs. diesel cars. I am pretty sure Porsche wouldn't build a diesel LMP1 car.

So if Accura gets an LMP1 online (and maybe one or two more P1 players) and the even the playing field you may see Porsche P1 car.

For that matter I would like to see GTP cars again, but I guess everything has to progress. Sometimes it just not in the best direction.

I am sure it will eventually get sorted out.

Accura claims they are going to build a LMP1 car.

I did hear a rumor that Porsche was also looking at a new LMP1 car, but I also heard from a more reliable source that Porsche wasn't going to that until there was more competition. They didn't want to race against Audi because that was essentially racing themselves.

The second thing that would have to happen is they would have to do something about tightening up the gas vs. diesel cars. I am pretty sure Porsche wouldn't build a diesel LMP1 car.

So if Accura gets an LMP1 online (and maybe one or two more P1 players) and the even the playing field you may see Porsche P1 car.

yes, nice :blink:

Porsche...no diesel? ;)

yes, nice :rolleyes:

Porsche...no diesel? :lol:

I doubt it. For all practical purposes they have one with the Audi R10 since they own 35 or so percent of VW and are fixen to get controlling interest. Plus diesel doesn't really fit the Porsche image.