Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question about thinning HUMBROL paints.....

I've noticed that Humbrol paint is extremely thick. I was wondering how much I should thin it to be used in an airbrush??? Thanks ahead guys.... And its Matte Black in case that makes a difference....

Edited by abedooley

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm about to buy some more Humbrol paints and I was wondering if the Humbrol Brand thinner would be the best to thin it with??? I've got a lil' thinner here, but I figured if I'm gonna order some Humbrol paint I'd better ask before I do so.... I know some products are much better than others. I'm already in love with the 1 tinlet of matte black I have.

Hey guys, I'm about to buy some more Humbrol paints and I was wondering if the Humbrol Brand thinner would be the best to thin it with??? I've got a lil' thinner here, but I figured if I'm gonna order some Humbrol paint I'd better ask before I do so.... I know some products are much better than others. I'm already in love with the 1 tinlet of matte black I have.

I use lacquer thinner for Humbrol and Testors enamels, it is by far the best I have tried. It mixes easily with the paint, makes it dry quicker and it also seems to help the adhesion. It's better to use regular paint thinner or Humbrol's own thinner for brush painting though, the lacquer thinner makes it dry a little bit too quick to get a nice finish if you brush it.

I use lacquer thinner for Humbrol and Testors enamels, it is by far the best I have tried. It mixes easily with the paint, makes it dry quicker and it also seems to help the adhesion. It's better to use regular paint thinner or Humbrol's own thinner for brush painting though, the lacquer thinner makes it dry a little bit too quick to get a nice finish if you brush it.

What the ratio for brush painting???

What the ratio for brush painting???

I really don't know. When I thin paint for brush painting, I put some on a lid from a Planter's peanut can (IMO, they are great "palettes" for mixing small amounts of paint, and it's also an excellent excuse for eating large amounts of peanuts) and use a pipette to add thinner until it's "just right". Sometimes, I have to brush some of it on a scrap piece to make sure that the consistency is right. I do it the same way but in the paint bottle/can when mixing larger batches, whether it's for spraying or brush painting.

There's really no perfect ratio, it depends on the paint, what you are using it for and how you use it. I'm probably not much help, but mixing paint is a trial and error thing, IMO. I have learned what the paint is supposed to look like when I have the right ratio, but I don't have a clue what the actual ratio really is.