Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any Pontiac Drag Racing historians Here?

SteveG

..... in '62 Arlen Vanke drove 4 different '62 Pontiac SD Catalina's for Knafel Pontiac. A Black Conv. called "Black Wirlwind", a Silver 2Dr Sedan called "Tin Indian", and twin Red Hardtops, Tin Indian I" and Tin Indian Too"

I'm looking for any photos of that '62 Silver 2dr Sedan "Tim Indian" for a new project. Any help would be appreciated. My internet searches for that car have been a bust so far.

TIA - Steve

You lookin for this one in the back.

knafel63.jpg

I found those same photos, the one in the back is "Tin Indian III" which is a '63 Catalina Ht. I'd like a better a photo of that one too but it's not the one I'm looking for. Thanks for trying though.

-Steve

Sorry I looked thru all my old Super Stock pictures and couldn't come up with anything other than a pic of Running Bear the 421 tempest built by Arlen Vanke then authorized by Pontiac (from 1963) The only 62 catalina I could find was the A/Stock of Skip Stegenda. And of course Jim Wangers Catalina pic (with the whitewalls LOL) Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you.

Chris

..... in '62 Arlen Vanke drove 4 different '62 Pontiac SD Catalina's for Knafel Pontiac. A Black Conv. called "Black Wirlwind", a Silver 2Dr Sedan called "Tin Indian", and twin Red Hardtops, Tin Indian I" and Tin Indian Too"

I'm looking for any photos of that '62 Silver 2dr Sedan "Tim Indian" for a new project. Any help would be appreciated. My internet searches for that car have been a bust so far.

TIA - Steve

Steve I just sent your request to a friend that is a Pontiac historian maybe he can help ya out.

Steve I just sent your request to a friend that is a Pontiac historian maybe he can help ya out.

Thanks Dave I really appreciate it. BTW, the car still exsts today and is under full restoration. Even the current owner can't locate photos of it in its original racing glory. Here's what it looked like before the restoration started. It's truly remarkable how well it survived. It's vitually rust free ...

-Steve

Picture004-vi.jpg

Picture002-vi.jpg

Picture005-vi.jpg

• 1 month later...

TIA - Steve

Steve, hi.

Being in California, we were Drag Racers first and foremost, from '56 on. Our big strip (NHRA) was Fremont, later renamed 'Baylands'. Hayden Profitt campaigned a 421 Pontiac there, (actually 3 cars, '62s, tudor sedans with the 8-lug aluminum wheels, M-22 Muncie 4-speeds, and his was only 1 of a stable of Pontiacs then! They all carried front wheels in 2nd gear, low 12-second machines!

In San Jose/Santa Clara, (15 miles away) there were Pontiacs running around the streets with the name "TIN INDIAN" from "TIN INDIAN #1" all the way thru "TIN INDIAN #26"!

Pontiacs ruled in those days, and they were in big numbers on the street!

I have a guy in Southern Calif. that is a serious Pontiac Performance Purveyor, I got parts from him when I rebuilt my nephew's 421 Bonneville last year. I will post his name and info on this thread in the morning. He is friendly and on the leading edge of Pontiac history and technology.

Steve, hi.

Being in California, we were Drag Racers first and foremost, from '56 on. Our big strip (NHRA) was Fremont, later renamed 'Baylands'. Hayden Profitt campaigned a 421 Pontiac there, (actually 3 cars, '62s, tudor sedans with the 8-lug aluminum wheels, M-22 Muncie 4-speeds, and his was only 1 of a stable of Pontiacs then! They all carried front wheels in 2nd gear, low 12-second machines!

In San Jose/Santa Clara, (15 miles away) there were Pontiacs running around the streets with the name "TIN INDIAN" from "TIN INDIAN #1" all the way thru "TIN INDIAN #26"!

Pontiacs ruled in those days, and they were in big numbers on the street!

I have a guy in Southern Calif. that is a serious Pontiac Performance Purveyor, I got parts from him when I rebuilt my nephew's 421 Bonneville last year. I will post his name and info on this thread in the morning. He is friendly and on the leading edge of Pontiac history and technology.

O.K., Steve...Guru's name is Bruce Fulmer, Rock-n-Roll Engineering. www.pontiacengines.com

Phone# is 909-370-0389

Bruce was very helpful with parts sources, blueprint values, and is a Drag Race Veteran.

Tell him 'Uncle Mike' said hi, and Nephew's 421 came out perfect.