Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rust ?

what do u guys do to make ur cars look like they have rust spots on them ??

i like to put a little steel brush on the dremel and hit the kit with that a little bit to rough it up

with a little practice you can use this tecnique to make it look like the part you hit is rusting out

then when it comes down to painting it on i like to use a round tipped brush and testors rust colored paint.

i basically drybrush it on in a pattern i think looks good

this ford coupe is probably my best example, this is all just painted on.

HPIM0148.jpg

HPIM0147.jpg

HPIM0146.jpg

HPIM0145.jpg

i like to put a little steel brush on the dremel and hit the kit with that a little bit to rough it up

with a little practice you can use this tecnique to make it look like the part you hit is rusting out

then when it comes down to painting it on i like to use a round tipped brush and testors rust colored paint.

i basically drybrush it on in a pattern i think looks good

this ford coupe is probably my best example, this is all just painted on.

HPIM0148.jpg

HPIM0147.jpg

HPIM0146.jpg

HPIM0145.jpg

ok thanks that looks cool .

For rust through, I cut from the inside of the body with a ball cutter in my moto tool. You can get paper thin with this technique. to break through I then use a sharp xacto blade to break the plastic open again from the back side. If you go through the plastic with the ball cutter that is OK, just rough up the edges. Don't over do it. Better to sneak up on what looks good. Find reference pictures on the net or take pictures around your town.

For surface rust, paint the whole car red oxide primer, mask rusty areas with rubber cement, then paint the body your color of choice. After painting, remove the mask and dry brush rusty areas with multiple shades of orange and brown flats. You can finish with pastel chalks if you like. Again reference photos help a bunch.

Have fun.

I agree with James on the Dremel and X-Acto tip; that ball-shaped milling bit is the ticket for making convincing 'rust through' damage.

For surface and spotty rust on my Charger, I used a combination of chalk pastels, drybrushed paints(various rusty & grimy colors), and a product called 'Instant Rust' by Modern Options/Sophisticated Finishes:

DSCN6388_edited-vi.jpg

I've also used it for the all-over surface rust look:

DSCN6598_edited-vi.jpg

DSCN1222-vi.jpg

Michaels craft stores sells the two-part set, which consists of a base paint that contains fine metal filings, and the top coat that accelerates the rust.......it goes on like paint, but it is real rust. With a little practice, I've found a few new ways to apply the stuff as well.

Edited by VW Dave

just got back from Michaels and they didnt have the instant rust Anywhere

Both of our local stores have it near the textured paints & faux finishes, nowhere near the models or model paints....look again just to play it safe. Our store has it in hanging boxes(like in the truck pic I posted), and also slightly larger individual bottles.

If you really strike out at your local store, lemme know by email and I can pick it up and send it to you for whatever it costs me.

What section did you find it in? I have a micheals but the people there never heard of it. So if you could tell me that i would be very greatfull :angry:

mine was on the end of the textured paints & faux finishes isle it wasnt called instant rust set tho . it was called rust antiquing set .

I'm pretty sure the 'rust antiquing set' is a different product than the one I use; I'm interested to see how it works for you, and the results.

it uses two diff. bottles like urs dose they both say on the bottle " sophisticated finishes " and on one bottle it says iron metallic surfacer and the other says rust antiquing solution

well for that realistic rust look i leave the cars outside for about 10-20 years

tha way i get the cancer/rust/old look down pat

J/k :P:blink::P;):P:D

i use the rust all that comes in a little bottle id show you what it looks like but i ran out of it

but when i get some more i will take pics of it and post them here

Dave - Thanks for the kind words on the Charger....that shot-up and crispy 5-window looks like something I'd love to drag home from the woods. I love it!!

it uses two diff. bottles like urs dose they both say on the bottle " sophisticated finishes " and on one bottle it says iron metallic surfacer and the other says rust antiquing solution

Sounds like the same stuff. Make sure you shake the base paint very well before using it, to ensure a good amount of iron is stirred up. I have found that you can achieve a subtle surface rust(or 'patina' to us artsy folks :P ) by pouring a small amount out on a plastic plate or coffee can lid and drybrushing it with a 1" foam brush. After it's throroughly antiqued, a light dry sanding with 700 or finer paper can also soften the finish a bit.

I played a little with subtlety on the Charger's front fenders:

DSCN6397_edited-vi.jpg

Hey that's looking goood! The rusty spots are right on. ;)

One thing I see looking at the whole picture is that the silver paint is too consistent. It would be weathered on a car like this. Try brushing on some flat clear and then working it over with some fine sandpaper. Silver is a hard color to work with sometimes, so do a small area and experiment with it.

Every time I build I find different things I 'd like to try next time, makes the hobby a never ending adventure. You've really got a great start here. keep going.