Model Cars Magazine Forum

Attn:Question for Greg H. owner of Model cars mag

So what's the problem with that?

Anyone can sign up for a free paypal account (I have one). It's quick, easy and painless. You don't have to be able to accept credit cards as a seller... you only have to have a paypal account.

Seems like a good idea to me. By eliminating payments by personal check, it will eliminate any shady dealings involving people writing bad checks. That's a good thing, not a bad thing! It will make ebay a better, safer place to do business. How is that in any way bad??? ;)

Part of the fuss, (from what I understand, I don't do the online auction thing), is that ebay is going to a strictly Paypal or credit card only service by October, thus eliminating the option of paying by check or money order, which hurts many seellers not set up to accpet credit cards.

I personally don't care either way, as I have yet to buy item one off ebay.

;)

That is just cuz they are morons. There is nothing wrong with Paypal. In fact, it's the only way to go, and gives you the best protection. Money orders and Checks are a good way to get screwed.

I've been trying to figure this out for a few days, and I still don't see why all the fuss.

It should be that way. I buy a few things off Ebay, and if it blew up tomorrow it wouldn't be the end of the world. I got a just a few things that the seller required money order and didn't have a Paypal account - probably some dinosaur afraid of technology, and it's a PITA and takes twice as long. I have to go somewhere and get a money order, another PITA, and pay for the the money order, then send it, which also cost me something, then wait for the seller to receive it, which on average takes a week. So I just avoid those auctions that require money order now.

Paypal, click, click, click you are done in thrity seconds, costs nothing, and chopped a week off the transaction time. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Edited by CAL

So what's the problem with that?

Anyone can sign up for a free paypal account (I have one). It's quick, easy and painless. You don't have to be able to accept credit cards as a seller... you only have to have a paypal account.

Seems like a good idea to me. By eliminating payments by personal check, it will eliminate any shady dealings involving people writing bad checks. That's a good thing, not a bad thing! It will make ebay a better, safer place to do business. How is that in any way bad??? ;)

That is what I don't get, but it sure cause a fuss with a few people who been crying all over Internet message boards about it.

Yeah but what about us? The ones who dont have a bank account or a credit card? I've both bought and sold on ebay for about six years now and have only failed to get two Items out of hundreds of transactions and both of those were due to the post office losing them. I did at one time use paypal through a checkking account. It would takke 4 or 5 days for it to clear my account. Hell I can mail a money order anywhere in the continental US and you'll have it in three days so I get my stuff quickker than having to wait on paypal to clear my bankk. And anyway how can ebay stop you from accepting money orders? Are they gonna come to your house and arrest us for accepting them and not using paypal? And as long as they get there money from fees I dont see why ebay would even give a rats a$$ how we get our money. I just dont see it possible for them to makke us stop using money orders and checkks. Okk I'm done now.

Yeah but what about us? The ones who dont have a bank account or a credit card? I've both bought and sold on ebay for about six years now and have only failed to get two Items out of hundreds of transactions and both of those were due to the post office losing them. I did at one time use paypal through a checkking account. It would takke 4 or 5 days for it to clear my account. Hell I can mail a money order anywhere in the continental US and you'll have it in three days so I get my stuff quickker than having to wait on paypal to clear my bankk. And anyway how can ebay stop you from accepting money orders? Are they gonna come to your house and arrest us for accepting them and not using paypal? And as long as they get there money from fees I dont see why ebay would even give a rats a$$ how we get our money. I just dont see it possible for them to makke us stop using money orders and checkks. Okk I'm done now.

Get a bank account, Man!, and a debit card. ;)

You don't have a bank account or a credit card??? Where do you keep all your money, in a shoe box under the bed? Do you walk around with all your cash everywhere you go?

I don't see how anyone with any common sense can think that using paypal is a bad thing. It protects both the buyer and the seller, and insures that every transaction is legit. Like Cal said, click, click, you're done in 30 seconds. No trip to go get a money order, no need for a stamp to mail it, no need to wait for days until it gets to the seller and he/she cashes it, etc. And ebay doesn't charge any fees to use paypal, so that argument is bogus, too.

As either a buyer or a seller, wouldn't you want the ease, convenience and protection that paypal offers? If no, why in the world not??? ;)

I really don't see how anyone can argue against using paypal.

You don't have a bank account or a credit card??? Where do you keep all your money, in a shoe box under the bed? Do you walk around with all your cash everywhere you go?

I don't see how anyone with any common sense can think that using paypal is a bad thing. It protects both the buyer and the seller, and insures that every transaction is legit. Like Cal said, click, click, you're done in 30 seconds. No trip to go get a money order, no need for a stamp to mail it, no need to wait for days until it gets to the seller and he/she cashes it, etc. And ebay doesn't charge any fees to use paypal, so that argument is bogus, too.

As either a buyer or a seller, wouldn't you want the ease, convenience and protection that paypal offers? If no, why in the world not??? ;)

I really don't see how anyone can argue against using paypal.

It's a Yeddie-bigfoot.

Why? To me life is easier without someone else holding onto my money. I likke itsafe at home where I always know how much I have and dont have to worry about going over my limit and getting hit with a butt load of fees from the bank. I'm not knocking anybody for using a bankk or paypal its just my life is simpler that way. I live my life by the K.I.S.S. method........keep it simple stupid ;) .

Why? To me life is easier without someone else holding onto my money. I likke itsafe at home where I always know how much I have and dont have to worry about going over my limit and getting hit with a butt load of fees from the bank. I'm not knocking anybody for using a bankk or paypal its just my life is simpler that way. I live my life by the K.I.S.S. method........keep it simple stupid ;) .

I assume you realize that you can put your money into a savings account and make interest on it? There are no fees involved with a savings account...you just put your money in and watch it grow. You can take out as much as you want whenever you want.

If you don't want a checking account or a credit card, at least put some of your money into an interest-bearing savings account! Every day you have all your money sitting at home in cash, you're losing ground because inflation is eating away at the value of that cash. At least if you're getting interest you're making up for some of that inflationary loss and staying closer to breaking even. Or open up a CD account, where you put a certain amount in for a certain length of time (you decide how long) and earn interest on your money that way. Use your money to make money!

Get with the 21st century, man! ;)

Then get a paypal account and join the rest of us... :o

Edited by harrypri

I assume you realize that you can put your money into a savings account and make interest on it? There are no fees involved with a savings account...you just put your money in and watch it grow. You can take out as much as you want whenever you want.

If you don't want a checking account or a credit card, at least put some of your money into an interest-bearing savings account! Every day you have all your money sitting at home in cash, you're losing ground because inflation is eating away at the value of that cash. At least if you're getting interest you're making up for some of that inflationary loss and staying closer to breaking even. Or open up a CD account, where you put a certain amount in for a certain length of time (you decide how long) and earn interest on your money that way. Use your money to make money!

Get with the 21st century, man! ;)

Then get a paypal account and join the rest of us... ;)

21st, that was 20th century stuff.

I am a big fan of paypal. Won't buy or sell on e-bay any other way.

anyone that keeps their money home and not in a bank account most not have enough that someone can break into their home, house catch on fire (GOD forbid) or some natual disaster but then again. If you banked at Indymac banks and had more that 125,000 in one account you got screwed. My dad when he was alive use to get made at me because I never carried money if I needed some I would stop at a MAC. this really got him going. He was just like madhatter always kept his money close.

Just my 1 cent I would give you 2 but I would have to tap MAC ;)

From what I gather it's not Pay-Pal per se. It's the fact that E-Bay owns Pay-Pal.

Giving even more money to E-Bay in fees is the gripe. E-Bay doesn't make money off of the check or m/o transactions. So E-Bay forcing sellers to use Pay-Pal only is what has everybody mad.

Exactly, that is what has every one tweakked is that ebay is getting greedy. And no I dont keep my money in a shoe box under my bed. I kkeep it in socks between my matresses :o . But really I keep it ina safe at home that is well concealed, fire proof up to about 90min. and i change the combo about twice a month. And if ya want it bad enough just keep in mind you'll prolly have to take a good chunkk of my home with ya to get it ;) When I installed it we welded six 4ft long pieces of rebar to the backk of it and set it in about 4 inches of concrete. Add in the alarm system and when I'm home I have a shotgun close by. Anybody want directions? ;)

Edited by The Madhatter

From what I gather it's not Pay-Pal per se. It's the fact that E-Bay owns Pay-Pal.

Giving even more money to E-Bay in fees is the gripe. E-Bay doesn't make money off of the check or m/o transactions. So E-Bay forcing sellers to use Pay-Pal only is what has everybody mad.

A paypal account is free, and as far as I know there is no paypal fee when you buy or sell. I've never been charged a fee, and I've bought from ebay with paypal dozens of times. Is a paypal fee something new? I've never seen it.

Exactly, that is what has every one tweakked is that ebay is getting greedy. And no I dont keep my money in a shoe box under my bed. I kkeep it in socks between my matresses :o . But really I keep it ina safe at home that is well concealed, fire proof up to about 90min. and i change the combo about twice a month. And if ya want it bad enough just keep in mind you'll prolly have to take a good chunkk of my home with ya to get it ;) When I installed it we welded six 4ft long pieces of rebar to the backk of it and set it in about 4 inches of concrete. Add in the alarm system and when I'm home I have a shotgun close by. Anybody want directions? ;)

Any bank has as good, if not better, security...and they pay you interest. And your money is insured up to $100,000. :blink:

okay?

It's the cost of doing business.

Who cares who owns it and if the fees are going to Paypal or Ebay... there are still fees involved. I don't see anything wrong with that. Buy a house.... take an airplane anywhere, buy a car... this stuff aint free, while I don't agree with all the fees eveyone charges for everything under the sun... it's a fact of life and people need to deal with it. Trust me it's not worth the fight. First of all you are never going to get enough people behind you to make a difference, you just are not, and secondly you are going to spend a lot of time and effort and LOOSE in the long run.

Not tooooo paronoid, eh?

A paypal account is free, and as far as I know there is no paypal fee when you buy or sell. I've never been charged a fee, and I've bought from ebay with paypal dozens of times. Is a paypal fee something new? I've never seen it.

I think there is a fee if you get money, but not if you send.

Guys, what's behind all of this is the fact that in a couple years, Ebay as well as other online auction sites will be required to report to the IRS anyone making more than $10,000 in sales a year. Here's the story on the whole hubbub.

This new provision was very cleverly embedded in the Housing Reform Act that was passed into law by the President recently.

What better way to report that to the feds if you own the company that takes the transaction and with a couple key strokes, find out what someone earned in the past year? ;)

Personally, I won't buy unless the seller takes PayPal, but I can see sellers getting irritated being forced to sign up for it if they don't choose to do so.

.......................And please, this is just fact, I don't want this to turn into a political skunk sprayer. :huh:

Guys, what's behind all of this is the fact that in a couple years, Ebay as well as other online auction sites will be required to report to the IRS anyone making more than $10,000 in sales a year. Here's the story on the whole hubbub.

This new provision was very cleverly embedded in the Housing Reform Act that was passed into law by the President recently.

What better way to report that to the feds if you own the company that takes the transaction and with a couple key strokes, find out what someone earned in the past year? ;)

Personally, I won't buy unless the seller takes PayPal, but I can see sellers getting irritated being forced to sign up for it if they don't choose to do so.

.......................And please, this is just fact, I don't want this to turn into a political skunk sprayer. :huh:

Thanks for the info...

It doesn't appear to be a widespread issue with a whole lot of folks, and for the ones that it is... I guess they pay if they want to play or go hide under their rock.

I too am a big fan of PayPal and I won't buy from a seller who does not

accept it. In addition to Bill's reference as to explaining the upset many

have with this latest development, there is still another reason (and bear

in mind, I don't know whether this condition will persist into the new

changes) and that is: PayPal accounts are FREE if you have a base account.

If you have a 'commercial account', PayPal will charge a fee for every

transaction. The difference between the base account and a commercial

account is primarily the ability to receive payments made with a credit

card. In other words, if a buyer elects to pay you with a credit card and

you have a base account with PayPal, you cannot receive the funds without

upgrading to a commercial account. I think that this has been one of the

main gripes that sellers have with the system. But just like any business

these days (as both Harry and CAL pointed out) if you want to expand your

business, taking credit cards is a must. The by-product of this is, of course,

fees. When restaurants (or any business for that matter) take credit cards,

they are charged a fee...why should eBay sellers be any different?

The fact is, someday checks, M.O.s and paper money will become

obsolete. The payment for all goods by electronic transfer just makes

good sense.....and costs substantially less.

As a long-time eBay seller, I love PayPal. It makes bookkeeping easier,

more precise and is more convenient...and for all the reasons Harry

alluded to. For those who espouse the idea that they don't want PayPal

(..or any other online payment service) getting into their business, you

might as well get used to it. And remember too, eBay's claim that most

sellers do prefer PayPal is correct.

Steve

Edited by forwardlook60