Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scuffing tires already on the model?

Hi all. I have a 1/18 Vettel F1 diecast. I want to lightly "race scuff" the tires to remove the seam and the shine from them, but don't want to remove the trie/wheel. Normally with models I do this before assembly with sandpaper. Is there a better way to do this here other than carefully by hand? I want to keep the edge between the surface and sidewall clean and neat.

Any advice appreciated.

Best,

SR

813f7360dca6e4a2e462360c4884500e546fc72c.jpg

I've seen people tape a sheet of sandpaper (whichever grade you normally use) to a flat surface, then slowly rolling the model forwards, but pushing it sideways at the same time, at slight angle from straight, (15degrees should do) to get the wheels turning but with enough friction to let the sandpaper do its thing. Of course this method will only work if the wheels turn. 

If the wheels dont turn a fine sanding stick and some careful masking of any areas nearby to protect the paint from any damage should work, you could also try a bit of new scotchbrite or sandpaper loosely wrapped around the tyre with an little extra for holding onto and not too tight so it can be moved

Edited by stitchdup