Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Clear Parts Protection & Storage

Some time ago I cracked the windshield in two on the Moebius '53 Hudson Hornet, there was already a small crack at the edge of the part at the sprue attachment point.  No chance of repair.

I recently had a near disaster when removing the windshield from the sprue on the Round2/AMT '57 Chrysler 300C. 

I now try to be extra careful securing the sprue, and if unable to get a full firm purchase away from the piece with my sprue cutter, I only using a sharp new pointed blade or fine razor saw etc. However with the Chrysler I chipped the windshield part, fortunately just on the inner surface of the glass, and I was able to sand and polish the scar out, thinning the windshield in the process.

Any way I got paranoid after this and I have started a clear parts maintenance binge. Basically going through my stash of kits and making sure that the clear parts are okay and in some cases removing the front and rear window glass parts, disposing of the sprue, and bagging each clear part in separate plastic film and/or small sealed freezer bags.

So many kits, especially older or second hand examples, don't have adequately protected clear parts.  

I try to cut the clear parts from the sprue with a sharp razor saw, always leaving enough to file and polish edges. If there are any scratches in the windows I polish with Novus polish. I also bag pieces separately to avoid scratching, putting them in zip lock bags. Normally, I store in the kit box to avoid losses.

20 hours ago, 935k3 said:

Try using a hot knife, cut as close as possible then the us a sanding stick. If you use a flush cutter keep the flush side towards the window or clear piece.

Dale, great advice on the hot knife.

The problem using a cutter is that some recent kits have a short thick section of sprue parallel to the windshield and back light.

In these I have to pare down the sprue piece with the cutter in order to get clearance to safely remove the clear part. No sweat ! (well not much).

17 hours ago, Bill J said:

I try to cut the clear parts from the sprue with a sharp razor saw, always leaving enough to file and polish edges. If there are any scratches in the windows I polish with Novus polish. I also bag pieces separately to avoid scratching, putting them in zip lock bags. Normally, I store in the kit box to avoid losses.

Bill, I have had great results with Micro Mesh sanding/polishing pads, and have just recently tried out the Novus polish.

Thank you