Model Cars Magazine Forum

USMC 55 Chevy Pro Sportsman

Frank Steffens

I got this kit from my wife for Father's day, and she was upset to find out I already had two of them...so I told her I was going to do something special with it. A couple of years ago, I saw this picture:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Marin...-18C/1337208/M/

...and was inspired to build this in 1/72 scale:

c.jpg

So I printed up some custom decals, and set out to build a '55 Chevy Pro Sportsman as if it were sponsored by the Marine Corps, and used as a recruiting tool. Here's the finished pics:

P9080023.jpg

P9080026.jpg

P9080028.jpg

P9080029.jpg

To answer your question, yes I love it. Ithas everything that I think should be on a Marine sponsored car, the paint scheme and the decals. If they bring back the Marines car in NASCAR I hope they will do it like this. Again I absolutley love it. Display it proudly as I am proud of it.

You mind if I use one of the pictures as my avatar?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Frank perfect timing on finishing this model with the Marine Corps birthday being on Monday the 10th of November. Frank I was wondering if you would please post this on another site? The site is called WWW.grunt.com it is a web site run by a company called Sgt. Grit. Every Marine has heard of the store. They have a car section where you can summit pics of your truck or car with different Marine items on the car. I truly feel that your car would really set well in those pages. Many Marine would be able to see your outstanding creation. Thank you for entertaining the idea.

Thank you again

Justin

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will surely do that my friend...I sent away for new clear sheets in Sept., when they arrived, they were FOLDED, creased and all, into my mailbox :lol: So I have to order more. Once I get them, I'll make sure you get a sheet.

BTW, I placed third in "Shelf Model-Competition"...I was really happy to have placed; there were some REALLY good models in the class.

I was paricularly honored that Lyle took pictures of it!

:lol: Frank, just came across this bad boy now that it's done, and it is a KILLER!!!! Like a GOOD MARINE!!!! I realy like how you made "Chesty" Puller the driver! GREAT TOUCH! It's an all around quality build, and I LOVE IT!! Wouldn't it be nice if the Corps. would sponsor another Drag Race Team again? Your lil Monster would be a GREAT motivational tool!!!! :o