Model Cars Magazine Forum

moon gas tanks

in my latest truckster project i needed a long moon gas tank to put in the bed, so i made one. i looked in search but, didn't find a topic on making these, so here is my way. i made a ram out of wood and used a sink adapter about the right diameter. i heated up a .040 sheet of evergreen plastic and pushed it through. viol! end caps. now just glue them on the end of a .375 piece of round tube the length you need. i made the mounts out of the same sheet of plastic. what'd ya think.

th_DSC00305.jpg

th_DSC00306.jpg

th_DSC00307.jpg

th_DSC00308.jpg

th_DSC00309.jpg

th_DSC00303.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
in my latest truckster project i needed a long moon gas tank to put in the bed, so i made one. i looked in search but, didn't find a topic on making these, so here is my way. i made a ram out of wood and used a sink adapter about the right diameter. i heated up a .040 sheet of evergreen plastic and pushed it through. viol! end caps. now just glue them on the end of a .375 piece of round tube the length you need. i made the mounts out of the same sheet of plastic. what'd ya think.

th_DSC00305.jpg

th_DSC00306.jpg

th_DSC00307.jpg

th_DSC00308.jpg

th_DSC00309.jpg

th_DSC00303.jpg

I think you're a genius, Gary. GREAT shot with the convex buck trick! I also build the no-fender stuff...real and model. Now you can teach me to post some thumbnails like these, and I can show my new buds here pix of what I've been doin'!

hi guys! it seems for some reason i don't get notified of responses on threads very soon after a post is done or i would have got back to you earlier. thanks for the compliments on the tank.

Eeyore, i just painted them with some of that real shiney silver spray paint you can get. you know, the kind that has the cap that looks like chrome and it's real shiney on the part until you try to clear it, then it looks like brushed aluminum. i just let it dry for about three days before i handled it. once it is really dried, it keeps its shine pretty good.

jeffinvt, i don't make them for sale, i am not very good at making money from my talents. i just get a kick out of finding out how to do something and sharing it with like minded people. that is why i am showing you guys how to make them.

Uncle Mike, i use photobucket hosting site. there is a small box under the pic, left click it and a green check mark will appear. then go to the bottom of the screen and you'll find some long blue boxes. left click on the farthest right one."generate html and ing codes" this will take you to another screen. left click on the third one, the words, "img clickable thumbnails for message boards-recommended". once you do this it will turn blue and say to the left "copied". now just go to this page and right click and a list will come up. left click on paste and it should paste the pic in thumbnail form. easy no? man i got a headache!!