Model Cars Magazine Forum

big rig suspenson ?

What's goin' on...

I'm not really into lowered trucks so I haven't tried lowering a truck. For the front axle try installing the axle on top of the springs making it an overslung axle. Use an exacto knife and cut the top of the u-bolt details off. Cut a small square piece of styrene plastic and mount that directly under the axle. Use a pin vice drill and make the holes for the u-bolts. Using either fine round stock styrene or brass make your u-bolts and on the bottom use Plastruct hex rod for the u-bolt nuts. Drill a hole thru the center of the nut so some of the u-bolt will protrude thru it for accuracy.

For the rear. I absolutly hate this supension details Revell tried to replicate! I've always kit bashed an AMT 359 for the suspension. Getting back on topic here. Cut off the trailing arms and move them up on the hangers. Try using the air bags from the AMT 352 Peterbilt or try using a rubber o-ring.

Good Luck

Something else you can do is look into trucks that have car carriers/stingers. These trucks have low profile suspensions on them that if the rack wasn't on it ...... it would look like a low rider. These trucks have 255.75.R22.5 tires on them opposed to having the 295.75.R22.5 11R22.5 11R24.5 or the low pro 24.5's ect ect ect.(low profile) to help w/ the lowered stance. You could use the tires/rims from the Testors die cast 1:28 scale rigs to replicate these. Here's a few pictures I took when I worked for Swift Trans. for future building reference. Note how low it sits!!!

2330659258_d69b885762_o.jpg

2330659224_9898069fbc_o.jpg