Model Cars Magazine Forum

Engine sizes in kits

Most of the model car kits do not have the size of the engine on the box cover or in the instructions. I'm trying to find the size of the 'Chevy Big Block' in the MPC "Spirit of '57" kit I'm guessing a 427 c.i. Anyone can help? 

Overall it doesnt matter because all big block chevys use the same block and same heads appearance wise. In 1:1 you cant really tell between them without checking casting numbers. Same goes for small block chevys, same block, same heads in appearance

I've heard that engine called a 454, but as SoDak says a 427 would look the same from out side. Generally speaking, Chevy Engines in kits are really only divided into Big Block and Small Block, unless you are trying to replicate an Exact Engine. Then it is worth hunting down Tim Boyd's, excellent articles (in the other mag) on how to tell the various engines apart. Those articles will help you to build a specific engine for a specific car.

For General Shelf Building, I don't get too far in the weeds, as to what is what, per engine displacement.

The engine they include has some issues with the valve covers being correct for a big block, but seeing as how the subject matter is engineered more for a period look than 100% scale fidelity,  I can forgive those issues. The original version of this kit was one of the first model car subjects I ever completed, so it holds a special place in my heart.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_big-block_engine

You could probably call it a 396 or 427 and be close enough, based on the period it was originally issued.