Model Cars Magazine Forum

FLASHED AMT 40 Willys coupe

VW93

Started on this build last week and have been making progress slowly but surely. I am building the coupe version from the Retro Deluxe release from a few years ago.
Needless to say it has been a time consuming build due to the amount of flash I've had to deal with. The front end has about a half hour or more in cleaning the flash and removing the huge parting lines from the fenders. I also have several hours in removing flash, parting lines and ejector marks from the rest of the parts. The easiest task in the build process was stripping the chrome!

Color will be either Testors  Star Spangled Blue or their Icy Blue over Testors  Diamond Dust Silver. The interior will be Testors metal flake blue. The body and all other parts will be primed using white and gray Tamiya primers.20200223_131926.thumb.jpg.9ce7987de4f4d7f3cb29bf29589d6fbf.jpg20200223_131912.thumb.jpg.2a63fc269a64f755a0e21d727a715d9b.jpg20200223_132306.thumb.jpg.9c3f43c18eaba7ee47606546c228c46a.jpg.

20200227_181913.thumb.jpg.0fa34e72e7e8105056e462d25efe2e86.jpg

Edited by VW93
spelling, again!

So far I've primed most of the parts and started painting and some light assembly. Luckily I had an unfinished swap meet glue bomb 40 Willy pickup that donated a few parts instead of going crazy trying to de flash some of the kit parts. I also used the donor parts to mock up the running gear.

I am either going to use the Radir rims and tires from the Revell 64 Thunderbolt or the kits rims with M&H parts pack slicks. The Radir rims will require some parts box searching for wheel backs to use with the wire axles. The tires will not stay on the kits rims so a solution is in order.

Having a spare dash I decided to cut out the gauge panel and fab one from sheet styrene. The kits dash has six small gauges and two large gauges of which I would assume one would be a tach. If it works out well I'll cut the new dash and use decals for a tach, oil pressure and water temp gauges.

20200227_175956.jpg

20200227_181331.jpg

20200227_181936.jpg

11 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

I'm working on the very same kit right now. I'll look forward to seeing where you take it. And Icy Blue is a great color, as far as I'm concerned. I painted a '70 Challenger T/A that same color and just love it.

I've been following your build to see what problems may arise during the build. It has helped me so far, I may even follow your lead and go with a different blower scoop. I really do not like the kit supplied mailbox scoop.
I'm going to do some spoon tests with different shades of blue before I decide on a color. Just went through my paint and have 5 different shades of blue to choose from.

On 2/28/2020 at 8:48 AM, VW93 said:

I've been following your build to see what problems may arise during the build. It has helped me so far, I may even follow your lead and go with a different blower scoop. I really do not like the kit supplied mailbox scoop.
I'm going to do some spoon tests with different shades of blue before I decide on a color. Just went through my paint and have 5 different shades of blue to choose from.

Blue is a great color, my favorite in fact, and Zero makes a ton of great blues. I'll be using Chrysler Mango on mine though.

5 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Blue is a great color, my favorite in fact, and Zero makes a ton of great blues. I'll be using Chrysler Mango on mine though.

Going to go with the Icy Blue over a Silver Diamond Dust base as the interior will be a dark blue metal flake. The Star Spangled Blue is dark and I want a little contrast with the colors.

14 minutes ago, VW93 said:

Going to go with the Icy Blue over a Silver Diamond Dust base as the interior will be a dark blue metal flake. The Star Spangled Blue is dark and I want a little contrast with the colors.

Works for me. I'll look forward to seeing the end result.

9 hours ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

Frank, that first pic of the hood alone would give me good reason to bin it.

Amazing that a manufacturer even if using decades old tooling can sit right with that.

good on you for persevering. Build on.

Kits like this is probably one of the reasons so many of us have unfinished projects on the back burner. I build for myself and the shelf but this one has been challenging. Besides all the flash the tires fall off the rims and the rims fall off the axles. Frustrating!

My goal is to finish this one before I start something else.

7 hours ago, VW93 said:

Kits like this is probably one of the reasons so many of us have unfinished projects on the back burner. I build for myself and the shelf but this one has been challenging. Besides all the flash the tires fall off the rims and the rims fall off the axles. Frustrating!

My goal is to finish this one before I start something else.

Kits like this can most certainly be challenging, but to get a nice finished result from it can also be rewarding, and perhaps that's what makes it worthwhile. I'm struggling with mine as well, but am determined to conquer it.

Should be able to start some assembly this week. Put some color on a fair amount of parts today, need to let them to gas out and dry totally before I go any further with them.

Have some parts that still need to be brush painted and I need to finish cutting out the dash panel.

I do my painting outdoors and tomorrows weather looks good with temps near 60 and low humidity. Want to get the body components primed tomorrow and hopefully get the first color coat on them on Tuesday. 20200301_192406.thumb.jpg.83811fdcb04337b69dcf24e20e568617.jpg20200301_192541.thumb.jpg.774c05135a00674c3635031eb182001c.jpg20200301_192505.thumb.jpg.d1d614ce3d13c9d86d54de88bcf60070.jpg

20200301_192608.jpg

Since I do my spray painting outdoors and the weather hasn't been cooperating I've only accomplished a little on this build .

I cut out the gauge panel and will replace it with sheet styrene and decals for a tach and water & oil pressure gauges. I also punched out two pieces of .010 styrene with a hole punch and covered the seat mounting openings on the bottom of the interior. I'm also going to hang a gas pedal from the dash. The floorboards look a bit tight to fit the Moon pedal and it looks lousy sitting partially on the transmission hump.

Did get some color on some parts. All painting has been done with Tamiya white primer with Testors Diamond Dust as a base coat. The roll bar and ladder bars were painted with Testors Icy Blue lacquer. The inner firewall, steering wheel, roll bar padding, dash and seats were done with Testors enamel Blue Metal Flake. 20200305_104027.thumb.jpg.be43d364e96368d4693d4d6cf0f9e51f.jpg20200305_104042.thumb.jpg.f909a5a221addc2af1c1991bd6760e23.jpg20200305_110619.thumb.jpg.b1ceeabbfea9a472103412cb10bdeab0.jpg

Edited by VW93
spelling, again!