Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Panel paint and fading

johnny rocket

So I am a long time drag race fan, but as of late have become fascinated with Lowrider paint panels and the resurgence of gasser paint jobs and 70’s street freaks.  So I had a kit laying in the closet and gave it a shot.  All of this is done using roth flake paint right out of a spray can.  I laid the silver flake at night and did all the paint including clear the next day. I would love to try this with an airbrush, if anyone has a suggestion on a great setup to purchase I am willing to listen.

5E87BC76-A7BC-47E2-85A2-EED5805D2D26.jpeg

88FCCC9E-6287-452E-86A8-6E6F2CCED779.jpeg

ABD47151-F621-4CB1-A11D-444E0669ED7F.jpeg

B277C549-4F68-462B-B341-FF18E3C1E203.jpeg

4175811D-D510-40B5-B366-EB1D4E69F886.jpeg

1843D00A-8C62-42E4-892A-8235A9275A49.jpeg

Not a bad first attempt. I am going to post a pic. The two small/narrow arrows are to show you that you should start your  line in the center. You may have been able to curve the tape to not have the abrupt end toward the front of the car.

The smaller/fatter arrows show where it looks to me like  you may have a kink in the tape (hard to tell by your pics). The arrow toward the front of the car, drivers side.  And where it looks like the tape had lifted. You have to be certain that the tape is stuck down. If it kinks and you can't get a smooth curve try it again. Do not worry, you WILL use a lot of tape to do it right.

Fat arrow on trunk looks like it was over a raised body line and it lifted. In that case it may be better to custom make the mask from a regular piece of masking tape cut to size with a knife or scissors.

I was looking at this closer. It looks like you have wavy curves. Each wave will let paint get underneath. That is why I mentioned you need smooth curves.

Hope this helps.

paint help.png

Edited by DPNM

10 hours ago, DPNM said:

Not a bad first attempt. I am going to post a pic. The two small/narrow arrows are to show you that you should start your  line in the center. You may have been able to curve the tape to not have the abrupt end toward the front of the car.

The smaller/fatter arrows show where it looks to me like  you may have a kink in the tape (hard to tell by your pics). The arrow toward the front of the car, drivers side.  And where it looks like the tape had lifted. You have to be certain that the tape is stuck down. If it kinks and you can't get a smooth curve try it again. Do not worry, you WILL use a lot of tape to do it right.

Fat arrow on trunk looks like it was over a raised body line and it lifted. In that case it may be better to custom make the mask from a regular piece of masking tape cut to size with a knife or scissors.

I was looking at this closer. It looks like you have wavy curves. Each wave will let paint get underneath. That is why I mentioned you need smooth curves.

Hope this helps.

paint help.png

Thanks so much, all input is well received, I did this just to see if it worked and I was very surprised at the results.  Can’t wait to get an airbrush and really take my time on one.  A quick question, after I start taping, how long do I have to apply tape, as in could it take all day to tape and then start painting the next day or could there be lift and leak waiting that long?

Edited by johnny rocket

You are welcome. Probably your best choice in a beginner airbrush would be a Paasche model H. Single action/siphon feed. I'm sure many others on the forum would agree. Name brand, very good quality, easy to clean and fairly inexpensive. This topic has many posts. You may want to read this:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/73170-buying-my-first-airbrush-or-compressor-questions/

I love 70s paint jobs. That is what I first learned to airbrush. Then again, that was back in the '70s. I recently got a kit that I think would be perfect for that style of paint job. I plan to try to do a "Paint in Progress" when I start it to show how I do it. I paint outside, lacquer, so it isn't warm enough here yet for me to spray. Hopefully in a month, maybe.

27 minutes ago, johnny rocket said:

A quick question, after I start tapping, how long do I have to apply tape, as in could it take all day to tape and then start painting the next day or could there be lift and leak waiting that long?

Tough question. You can take as much time as you need to apply the tape, as long as your surface has dried enough to apply it. Having it lift is the big question. IMO the biggest reason for tape lifting has to do with the quality of tape being used. The cheaper the brand of tape the more likely, at least to me, it will lift. Some cheaper brands don't seem to be that sticky. Others may be too sticky and leave tape residue when removed. If you are using a strong paint, like some lacquers, if may start to dissolve the tape where it may also cause tape residue.

Edited by DPNM