Model Cars Magazine Forum

airbrush help

WHAT COULD COUSE MY AIRBRUSH TO "SPLATER" THE PAINT ? WHY LITTLE PAINT SOMETIME NOTHING COMES OUT ?

i tried useing thinned nail polish, walmart hok, my thinner wont even spray through .

paint seems to only come out when i first press the trigger then nothin .also if put the tip of the airbrush against something then the paint sprays out :)

I just went through this same thing.

First off, the basics: Who, what, where, when, etc.

Airbrush, equipment, pressure, paint, thinner, etc.

Then can go from there.

Mine ended up to be some junk under the o-ring in the main air supply/valve in the air brush.

The paint tube is clogged or clogging most likely. What type of brush do you have, internal mix or external mix? (Which is a misnomer since all airbrushes mix the air and paint in the same location... but that is what they call them.)

Also, is it a double or single action?

My suggestion is to take it apart and let everything but the rubber parts soak in Lacquer thinner for a time. Then try it again.

Also, something to look for is to put some thinner in the paint draw tube while the brush is upside down and hooked to the air, then slowly pull back on the trigger. If you are seeing bubbles coming back along the paint draw tube then you have a worn seal somewhere that needs replacing. That too can cause spitting and poor paint flow.

I was going to respond that this would be a great question for Jairus, because he is the guru of airbrushing in my book.

And lo-an-behold, five minutes later, it happens!

If you have any airbrush question, drop Jairus a line, and I can almost guarantee he will have the right answer, or point you in the right direction.

domo!

Anything is possible

But back to basics, the who, what, where, etc.

What is your air supply? air compresser

How much pressure? i've tried from 20 -50 psi

What type of paint/thinner? nail polish, h.o.k / lacuer thinner

What thinning ration you are using? pretty much eyeball it give it the milk look

What color socks? :lol:

sorry, last one slipped out.

Well, your airbrush looks a little like my Badger 150 and a little like a Pasche.

A. Is a Pasche VL

B. Is an Iwatta clone ***

C. Is a Badger 150.

P1011523-vi.jpg

All are double action. Your airbrush is most likely a clone of one of these or simular in construction with regards to the mixing process. Hopefully, with the following, you can figure it out yourself. Do not mistake the fact that just because the Iwatta clone is a gravity feed... that yours is the same as that one!

The Badger has a teflon ring that seals between the air flow and the paint flow. If the seal is worn, air pressure pushes past the seal into the paint "draw tube" or paint hopper as on your gravity feed. The seal is cheap but hard to find for me so I order a bunch by Internet so that I have a few onhand.

teflonseal-vi.jpg

With the Pasche... the seal is a brass taper piece that hopefully has no grooves, notches or otherwise which will allow the air to pass. You want a good seal between the paint and air until the tip where the air flowing past the tip and needle SUCKS the paint in a fine stream. If air is getting into the paint flow before the sucking part... then the difference between sucking and flowing is compromised and thus the spitting.

brasstip-vi.jpg

This is the Pasche broken down....

P1011529-vi.jpg

This is the Badger broken down...

P1011527-vi.jpg

What ever your airbrush is... the problem is between the collar and the seal not sealing the pressurized air and the paint. Remove the tip and then the collar. You should see either the brass taper fit or a rubber (might be teflon like the badger) seal. That is the thing you need to replace.

***(I have never had this problem with the Iwatta clone because the design is very good, so I did not show that airbrush broken down.)