Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paystar 5000 & crane

Here's a project I've been working on, a Paystar 5000, I was going to make it a heavy hauling tractor, but then I found this crane, needless to say, its a whole new can o worms as to how to finish this off now. I might do a flatbed with a rear mounted crane with a matching trailer like they use in the brick yards.

Anyway, they both need more detailing, but we got a sunny warm day, so I had to take some pics.

See what ya think.

Tim

Edited by studioman3

wow where did you find crane to add, id love to add something like that to a mack r model

as for finishing, why not collapse the crane, slide the fith wheel back, and make it a delivery tractor??

ive seen prefab housing contractors, not modulars but panel houses use cranes on tractors

maybe remove 5th wheel and make a stake bed with boom? or a utility body for a sign or an electric company?? our current electric company use to have similar truck with crane on it, they sold it at auction, local guy bought it, utility body, and now hangs signs with it for neon sign company

bill d

Here's a project I've been working on, a Paystar 5000, I was going to make it a heavy hauling tractor, but then I found this crane, needless to say, its a whole new can o worms as to how to finish this off now. I might do a flatbed with a rear mounted crane with a matching trailer like they use in the brick yards.

Anyway, they both need more detailing, but we got a sunny warm day, so I had to take some pics.

See what ya think.

Tim

Thanks Ray,

Bill, I will probably just do the flatbed like a brick hauler as I can get some 1:1 pics down the road at the concrete place, they do septic tanks and such, and usually haul a matching trailer behind them. The crane was a kit I happened to run across, that is just a couple peices of Greenboard with the parts drawn on them. It was quite the challenge since I have never cut anything out of that before. Also the hydraulics were solid, so I made my own out of alluminum tubing so that the arms could move like the real deal. The hoses are rubber tubing with alluminum tubing on the ends for conectors/fittings. I still need to do the rigging with cable and a hook of some sort.

I'm wondering, since I build the lowboys with hydraulics also, where does the pump come from, the trailer? the tractor? the crane? and also what does a pump look like and is it hooked up to a tank? If anyone knows, or has pics, please let me know.

Thanks

Tim

wow where did you find crane to add, id love to add something like that to a mack r model

bill d

Kit form Services does a nice Haib 205 crane. Here is mine roughed in on the back of an R Model. The model is based upon trucks that used to deliver forklift batteries to the recycling plant where I worked.

Craneinprogress-vi.jpg

KFS has it in their catalog stock Number TQ14 runs about 40 bucks. Spaulding used to carry it not sure if they still do.

Doc