Model Cars Magazine Forum

3 Christine, BIG!!! Update February 8th

A very, very enthusiastic project!

What is the idea? Well, I want to create 3 '57 Plymouth Fury's. 2 for my girlfriend ( her name is, (you've guessed it) Christine ) and 1 for me. 2 of the Christine's are going to be show and shiny, 1 of the Christine's is going to be like the first appearance in the movie, ( yes, you guessed it again) Christine.

I need the three Christine's done before March/April 2009, why? Well, I am trying to see my GF in that period and want to give the cars as her birthday gift. In a diorama. And I don't want to ship them. The idea is also get them there and she will enter them for me at the Portland NW Car Collector model car contest in late 2009. Just to see if I can be any good again ( In 2007 I got there 2 firsts, 1 second and a 4th place )

So let some pictures do the talking;

AMT31927.jpg

Christine002.jpg

Christine003.jpg

Christine004.jpg

Christine005.jpg

Christine006.jpg

Christine007.jpg

Christine008.jpg

Christine009.jpg

As you can see from the pictures, the one Christine has to get her doors and trunk open and the hood shut, this will complicate the whole matter even more.

But it gives me the oppertunity to forget about detailing that engine. So a little less work for a whole lot more work.

Edited by Erik Olijnsma

;) My favorite book and I love the movie! Keep us updated I can't wait to see the finished product of the beat up christine

1 question (I'm new so excuse me) Do you have all of those pieces glued together ? (unpainted) Just curious if you have them temporarily stuck together with something (if so with what?) b/c isn't is hard to paint it like that?

Good question, and I'll give a simple answer.

If you look closely through the pictures, you will see that there are two ways demonstrated. The engine completely assembled without painting is used for the beat-up Christine, this is because no one will ever get to see the engine. So no detailing.

But there are also pictures featuring two engines, those are made in the proper and easiest way. The mainparts assembled which have to go in the same color, that will be airbrushed. All other detailling parts will be assembled and painted later. So, it is easier to paint that way.

Good question, and I'll give a simple answer.

If you look closely through the pictures, you will see that there are two ways demonstrated. The engine completely assembled without painting is used for the beat-up Christine, this is because no one will ever get to see the engine. So no detailing.

But there are also pictures featuring two engines, those are made in the proper and easiest way. The mainparts assembled which have to go in the same color, that will be airbrushed. All other detailling parts will be assembled and painted later. So, it is easier to paint that way.

Ahh simple enough. I should have done that with my F100 since right now I'm fighting with it and will be doing a lot of touch ups b/c of having to trim things to fit. I can't wait to see your completion of this, really cool thing to decide to do :lol:

Yeah, not that difficult. This topic is not the best example if you want to learn, since I will have to do stuff that is not along the usual ways :lol:

If I have big parts, I mount them on a toothpick and spray them. If they are smaller, but can be handled without touching/holding by fingers, they are painted without assembling.

The smaller parts are assembled and then painted. I don't know if this is the wide accepted way of doing it, but it works for me B)

man i love that movie one of the sweetest cars. where can i find a model like one of them?

any hobby store should cary them if not ebay it is a AMT/Ertl Kit and and the box will say 58 Belvedere on the box. it came in different types too with different box art. I am using this kit do do MY christine. Steef check my "Her Name Is Christine" thread for my custom made 90% movie accurate Christine license plate ;).

I got my 3 Christine's from a friendly user on this board, he made it happen to purchase 3 Plymouth's for a reasonable price and shipping, so I thank him ;)

If you don't mind; could you send me the digitalized plate? I would appreciate it. I haven't found your topic yet, but will do after I finish up this post.

just to correct you, "christine" is a 1958. and how funny is this, my wife's name is christine and she LOVES that movie. i've done MANY "christine's" over the years, but never the "first sight" (been wantin to though) version. my painting skills are still not the greatest, i'm tryin to get ahold of a few of the prepanted pro shop ones. i will definatly be watchin this one.

Edited by grimreaper

I got my 3 Christine's from a friendly user on this board, he made it happen to purchase 3 Plymouth's for a reasonable price and shipping, so I thank him :lol:

If you don't mind; could you send me the digitalized plate? I would appreciate it. I haven't found your topic yet, but will do after I finish up this post.

2iqh72v.png

here it is the only thing that is wrong is the 56 should be a 58 if you dont mind that it is wrong you can always use MS paint or any other program and either A: alter it to a 58 from the 56 B: remove the numbers altogether or C: live with the wrong model year on that 'sticker' ;).

Funny thing is...............I read the book years ago, and "Christine" was described as a four door! :lol: The book was a TON more horrific than the movie! :huh:

I guess when the movie was being done in '83, there just weren't that many four door '58 Plymouths of any type so they went with the two door hardtop---------which were actually a bunch of Belvederes gussied up to look like Fury's coming down the assembly line.

Yeah, that two-door vs. four-door thing bugged me too having read the book before the movie. However, I was not that upset with the lack of gore up on the screen...

Nice work on this project Eric! Will be watching your thread with great interest. :lol:

The reason for the change from the movie was because Stephen King wrote the book, and John Carpenter did the movie, Stephen King had nothing whatsoever to do with the movie, so John Carpenter had to do some things different than the book because of copyright laws.

The reason for the change from the movie was because Stephen King wrote the book, and John Carpenter did the movie, Stephen King had nothing whatsoever to do with the movie, so John Carpenter had to do some things different than the book because of copyright laws.

That explains why I liked the book 100X more than the movie.. I was sitting there thinking "why in the world did King make it so much different than the book" I never knew he didn't have anything to do with it... it wasn't as good as his normal movies and I always wondered why he wasn't IN the movie. (most of you will know he always makes an appearance in his movies)