Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mixing metallic and non metallic paint

I'm painting a Ferrari and I'm looking for a metallic Ferrari red. I have a bunch of reds, metallic and non metallic. I was wondering if mixing the bright gloss Ferrari red (Mr color Italian red) with the darker Metallica (Mr color metallic red) would produce a weird metallic effect, since the density of the metal flake would be much lower than out of the bottle (since I would probably be mixing lots of bright red with much less metallic red) or if I should stick to either one or the other 

Mixing highly opaque pigmented paint with a semi-transparent metallic will certainly reduce the metallic look of the paint when sprayed. There is no harm in mixing up a small batch and doing some test sprays on a plastic spoon to see if the effect is something you can live with.

https://www.splash-paints.com/ferrari

^^ any of these shades of Ferrari paint in the ballpark for you?

Edited by gman

Was thinking something like a rosso corsa metallic. Tried mixing the bright gloss with the darker metallic with pretty good results. More subtle metallic which with some thought now, might be a good thing on an f50. 

My original apprehension was thst the less dense flake would make the metallic look like it was dusty or dirty  but that doesn't seem the case 

Edited by DavyC412
Add more