Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bob Paeth Treasures from Sale

As a lot of you know, Bob Paeth was a good friend of mine. Not because he was Bob Paeth or a man of some celebrity, but because of his kind hearted nature.

It isn't often that you meet a man who loved life as much as Bob did, and was so laid back about it.

This last week-end was the sale of all of Bob's model collection.It went really well.

In the first hour and a half, 3/4 of his things on 4 table's was sold, and all of it was gone by the end of the model contest.

Everyone I talked to who has gotten something was so excited. Lot's of fun. I got a few nice things, and thought I'd share them here.

In the pic is a kidillac diecast pedal car, and a never opened 'till I got it '92 Corvette promo, still wrapped in tissue paper. Also a memorial print about Bob, and one of his business cards from Revell.

The biggest prize for me as a builder is the Corvette Indy " Dream Machine" that Bob turned into an El Camino, that I will finish some day as a tribute car.

Hope you enjoy - Dave ;)

2008_1110Photobucket10070.jpg

Edited by Gregg

Sorry gotta ask. Did his family sell all of his completed builds or just the unopened and opened/started kits?

I'm glad you were able to get something. It looks like a fun build. A mid-engined pick-up. Thats different alright.

No problem asking B)

Some of his finished things, as I've heard, are goind to museums and some of the finished things are staying with various family members.

I did go but not early.

It felt weird looking over what was left of his models.

Knowing who he was and how much he has done for the hobby.

I'm sure there were people there that just wanted a piece of history

or just to have something of Bobs.

I applaud them.

Then there are the bottom feeders going at it like rabid dogs.

Seeing who was gonna score that big find for EPoo

I waited till it was all done and said to see what was left.

If it was there, it was meant to be.

I picked up a started 57 Chrysler 300C and a complete Chevy Luv (my wheels and tires tho).

I wonder what his plans are for the 300C?

BobPeath.jpg

Thank You Bob.

My Heart and Prayers are with you and your Family..

Rodney.

If any of Bob's cars went to the Model Car Builders Museum in Salt Lake City, run by Mark Gustavson, I feel truly humbled and honored that one of my cars is in such good company. I know Dave Shuklis's stuff is there as are some other builders as well, but to add Bob's stuff just makes if feel more special.

One of my favorite cars was donated to the museum a couple of years ago, at the urging of both Bob Kuronow and Augie, which was an honor in itself. It was a dual Pactra I winner, and featured in an archaic CarModel magazine. At first, I was hesitant to part with it, as it was a unique car. A sectioned 62 Ford Convertible, painted Candy Red with Candy Gold fogged on top, with new headlights, rolled pans, restyled and working doors, and the "60's state of the art" interior, thread wiring, and chrome engine. But I figured, what good is it doing in a box or on my display shelf, as opposed to sharing history with other fine cars, even though mine is pale in comparison.

What is noted that the Pactra Candy Paint I applied in 1962 was still smooth, shiny, and intact no ripples after 43 years, and I still have 2 more from then painted with 60's era paint from the rattle can and not marred or aged in any way!!!! I have a 49 Merc painted with today's stuff in '94 and it is already bleeding through despite coats and coats of primer, sealer and base coat. Now I am painting just about everything with Duplicolor resprayed from an airbrush.

The pioneer cars from the "Golden Age" is a valuable source of inspiration (it sure was to me) and information. I know Bob restored many damaged but famous cars from back then to beautiful perfection. The other thing I will never forget is his last chopped 49 Merc with the slanted B pillars. I know you're showing people how to build in Heaven, Bob!!!!!!

Ken "FloridaBoy" Willaman