Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell or ertl T600

The answer is: it depends. The Revell T600 represents a 1986-1989 truck while the AMT/Ertl T600 is a 1990-1994 body with a 1970s chassis, engine, & suspension. I have never built either kit, so I cannot comment on the quality; though I assume the the Revell kit is better.

There are some good articles here on correcting the AMT T600:

http://public.fotki.com/modeltrucks25thsca...s/car_modeller/

If you can find/afford a Revell T600, get it!

The Revell"Al Zack" T600 kit is a thousand times better (if you want to build it). The AMT/ERTL T600 was not very well executed....same old 1970's chassis...just newer body work ; which didn't fit together well at all; and was more than "finicky" to say the least....the frame rails were totally warped in every amt t600 I ever tried to build; but usually just chucked them in the parts box....they really didn't even make good parts donors... I know some will disagree with me; and say this is harsh criticism... But I can sum it up in a simple analogy for you....If a YUGO and a BENTLEY were the same price; which one would you buy? matt

Go with the Revell of Germany T600. The AMT/Ertl T600 was a mish-mash of W925 kit frame and T600 cab/hood/sleeper. It appears that AMT started to make a fresh kit but then cut corners and modified 20 year out of date W925 parts to complete the kit.

As Matt said, nothing on the AMT/Ertl T600 fit.

Tim

Matt,

I don't think it will be long before a Bentley is the same price as a YUGO. The factory is about 10 miles from where I live and a big employer for the area. They announced a couple of weeks back that they were laying the work force off for 6 weeks through Christmas and the New Year. This is because of lack of orders due to the recesion/slump. Nobody here is buying anything and credit has run out. The banks are not lending anything. The future looks pretty bleak. Not much more to say about that. I think every person and country will be effected, whether they like it or not.

Anyways back to the Kenworth, never built the T600 from Revell or Ertl/AMT. When I was in the US in May this year I saw a number of new Kenworth T660??? (Is this the correct model designation? Not sure.) What a great looking truck. This I presume is the follow up to the T 600. Does anyone make after market parts for this?

Steven,

Which ever model you choose. Good Luck and keep us posted with you progress.

Best Wishes

Dave Bates

Edited by Old Albion

The AMT/ERTL T600 was not very well executed....same old 1970's chassis...just newer body work ; which didn't fit together well at all; and was more than "finicky" to say the least....the frame rails were totally warped in every amt t600 I ever tried to build; but usually just chucked them in the parts box....they really didn't even make good parts donors... I know some will disagree with me; and say this is harsh criticism...

I agree, tried to build it a couple of years ago, for a truck novice I was so out of my depth, chassis was so twisted it put the whole build out, of course i didnt think to check until too far nto the build, and lost interest by then.

Gone onto Revell/Italeri trucks now, far safer bet :P

Although finding the revell kit isnt that easy.

I have both of those kits in my collection and my opinion is this.

The Revell is great untill you come to the hood. The hood is not the correct shape at all. I hide that truck in the background of the collection. For some reason my high rise sleeper roof was badly made and I think that is the real reason I hide that truck to the back

The engine is also wrong as far as I know. I have never heard of T600 with a Cummins twinturbo.

On the plus side the chassie is modern the rear is correct etc. I'm not sure if the location of the aircleaner is correct as down here in New Zealand our aircleaner is mounted on the top of the engine towards the firewall going by memory.

The AMT/Ertl is great except for the chassie and running gear which has been mentioned is way out of date.

I built my Revell T600 up as standard and swaped the Cummins engine with a Cat 3406 and linked up to an Alison Auto gearbox.

Well good luck to which ever kit you choose.

Cheers

John

Thanks everyone for the information. Today I traded a buddy of mine the peterbilt from one of my can do wrecker kits " for his kenworth T - 600 from his revell truck racing transporter kit. He also had a ERTl T - 600 in his parts / rebuild box he bought on ebay .I got the cab / hood and sleeper from that kit. I like the rounded ertl version of the hood compared to the square shaped hood on the Revell kit. I am wondering If I can mate the ertl cab, hood , sleeper to the Revell frame and still be somewhat accurate ?