Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fred´s Ford in light frost

kjohan

65/66 Fords only had shock towers. After the 66 Galaxie's the Fairlane's  used a front hoop with various down bars for shocks and support. That very same configuration lasted well into the 2000's not sure about the Plymouths and Dodges but I would bet hoops where used about the same time. I read some where that the two majors Cheverolet builders took a different approach Jr. Johnson used long trailing arms and fabricated fronts while Bobby Allison used modified stock parts. 

1) Re James info on the Ford front structures ´65/´66: where can photos be found how it looked ?
   So far I have not been able to find on the net

2) Re Anton´s comment
  Yes, have noticed the presence of a few fellow Swedes in this forum
   Have actually taken the liberty to take a couple of direct contacts  and recieving valuable help, 
   both a few parts needed and info on missing facts of the actual cars
   Much appreciated and very nice to have this opportunity and dialogue

Concerning Tradera (Swedish auction site): After a long pause taking up modelling again during the pandemi,
   there have been a number of visits there, perhaps a little too many...
   The stash have grown quite considerably.
   My wife looks slightly concerned ; where to put the finished products ???
   Began modelling in college ca 1963, a friend there had found out how to buy directly from Auto World.
   In those years very little available in Swedish shops, now we got the latest releases of the newest cars (+ quite an assortment of older ones)
    Among my first ones were ´63 Pontiac Bonneville, ´64 Corvette Coupe´, ´64 Falcon Futura Sprint Monte C rally car
   And the first generation of the AMT kit of the Cobra 
   In 2014 we sold our house, hence needed to "reduce inventory" and sold a few of the surviving models.
   To my surprise, the Corvette I built in ´64 and sold 50 years later, appeared for sale at Tradera last autumn,
   from what I could see completely intact as I once built it
   Concerning the Cobra, that was also sold in 2014.
   Two years ago, I bought and built a newer generation of the kit.
   Was rather disappointed ; compared to what I remembered from the original kit , the newer one had "degraded" in several aspects.
   But, late this autumn, on this Tradera-site came up a kit from the very first generation.
   And I could by it.
   Look very much forward to build that, hopefully it meets my memories (though the decals probably may be brittle, the kit is OLD now)
   But first I have to build/ finish  a couple of pre-war Fords and a MiniCooper;  for children and grandchildren;
   thus also in a way transferring the space problem

• Like 1

A lot of my info came from the Randy Ayers Nascar board. In the Darkside section there is discussions about the so called haft chassis cars as well as info on the 66/67 Fairlane/Comet raced during that period. I think some pictures are attached. As far as modeling in concerned Polar Lights made a 69 Torino Talladega/Mercury Cyclone kit that has the chassis you will need. It will needs some mods. Are you could go the old route of grafting the 65 Galaxie front snout onto the 66 Fairlane chassis. It does need to be narrowed to get the tires under the fenders. 

Thanks James for the info about the Randy Ayers forum
Did not know about that, saw a lot of interesting things there already

Saw also on the net a preview of a book how to build Nascar model cars
Also there a lot of useful info

Think I now know what the hoop is

Edited by kjohan
spelling