Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya vs. Aoshima vs. Fujimi

Hey how would you guys rank these japanese model makers? From what i've read, the best is Tamiya, then Aoshima, then Fujimi? What are the pros and cons of each company? What aspects are better? What are your oppinions? And are there any other companies that make 1/24 kits of japanese cars with as much detail as these 3?

That is a tough loaded question because each marque has its pluses and minuses.

If I were to rank them now, today it would be a hard toss up:

Tamiya/Fujimi

Aoshima

Tamiya isn't really doing a whole lot car wise as of late, and what they have been coming out with is a bit more simplified than in the past. Not a bad thing, but not Tamiya either. Although Tamiya kits are engineered very well and go together without a hitch. The proportions are pretty darn accurate too. Just not as much coming from them as I would like to see.

Fujimi has really been coming on strong in my opinion. It used to be hit and miss with them but it appears quality control and design has really gone through the roof. They produce a lot more kits of stuff that I enjoy, mainly exotics, but they to are simplified but they make up for that in most cases with accuracy and proportions. Still not quite as engineered as I think Tamiya are. Still I find I have more Fujimi kits than Tamiya.

Aoshima kits are fun, meaning that they come out with some off the wall stuff you wouldn't get anywhere else, I like that they take a chance. I believe there assets are the wheel kits and nice looking body proportions. I don't think they are engineered as the other two. Although the finished product always looks good.

Like I mentioned they all have there pros and cons. It really boils down to what you are interested in and what kind of details you are looking for. I buy what fits for me and enjoy building them no matter who the manufacturer. A prime example of this is the Nissan GT-R. Each company has one. Each is different and unique in its own right. I know a few guys have each one so they could do there own evaluation. Each one has good points and bad. In the end you get to pick and happily there is a choice available to you.

These are my opinions only, they may not reflect yours and I encourage the constructive criticism. B)

Chris

I have many Tamiya kits, but most of them are from the 1980’s and 1990’s and a few are from the 1970’s. It is impossible to find fault with these kits when it comes to accuracy and component fit, but the later ( from the 2000’s ) cars lack engines and I agree with Crispy and Capt. Obvious, they have gone to a more simplified construction and detail.

Personally, I think the best kits are in the Fujimi Enthusiasts Series. These, I believe, are not currently in production but the high level of detail is most impressive. Sure these kits are tough to build, but the high level of detail is amazing. The engines alone in these cars are worthy of being their own kits….they are just that good. I am very sorry that I passed on many of those kits years ago when I could have picked them up. The chassis detail on this series of sport cars is as good as the bodies of many of the Tamiya’s today.

So therefore I would rank them as Fujimi, followed by a recently simplified Tamiya and then the Aoshima brand.

Generally speaking, Tamiya would be the best. Some of their kits are wire-axle jobs (the Nissan 350Z is another), but the detail and proportioning is still spot on. I was disappointed with the 350Z's chassis detail, but on the other hand I have several unbuilt Tamiya kits where the high level of complexity of the suspension setup has "delayed" the build. I think Tamiya should give some guide to the level of detail on the kit box, if they're going to bring out wire-axle kits as well as the standard we expect from them.

Aoshima kits are great, when you can get them. Here in Australia their distribution is spotty at best. But the ones I have are excellent. Maybe not quite Tamiya quality though, but I really haven't seen enough of their kits to be sure.

Fujimi kits vary a lot. Some of their current kits are old '70s or '80s tools resurrected - can you say AMT? As such, some of their kits (Isuzu Piazza) have no interior door panels; others (the pre-R32 Nissan Skylines) share a common chassis designed for an electric motor and batteries. Heck, they even used that chassis on a Honda Prelude - show me a RWD Honda Prelude, someone!

Their newer kits are excellent. Anything from the early nineties on will not disappoint you; anything tooled from, say, 2000 on is just about right up there with Tamiya.