Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Resin '34 Ford bodies.

Hello, all.

Picked up the Thom Taylor Revell '34 Cabrio kit, want to convert it to a chopped sedan.  Contacted Drag City, '34 bodies are no longer in production.  Jimmy Flintstone lists a '34 chopped sedan body for the Revell kit, but there is no picture available.

Anybody seen this?  I'm looking for the 2-door sedan, not a 5-window coupe.  Open to suggestions from other suppliers, too.

Thanks

Edited by olddude55
Ad more info

The Thom Taylor car is a variant of the Monogram 34 car that was first available as an unchopped 3W, then as a chopped 3W. Older issues of the chopped car were packaged as the ZZtop car and recently reissued without ZZtop packaging. However, the chopped top is terrible. The chop is uneven side to side and the right side of the roof has a strange shape as it rounds to the passenger window.

It can be fixed, but it takes a bit if work. 

I am working on a resin package of a louvered hood, hood sides, and rear tail panel to use this kit to build the California Kid movie car.

• Like 1

That's probably the worst starting point as far as a model kit-based is concerned. Is it imperative that you start with that particular kit?

Here's the JF chopped '34 Sedan on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/124835615015?hash=item1d10c85127:g:kMQAAOSw3YNgkxgK

I would suggest starting with this kit, and chopping it to your taste:

s-l1600.jpg

6 hours ago, Casey said:

That's probably the worst starting point as far as a model kit-based is concerned. Is it imperative that you start with that particular kit?

Here's the JF chopped '34 Sedan on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/124835615015?hash=item1d10c85127:g:kMQAAOSw3YNgkxgK

I would suggest starting with this kit, and chopping it to your taste:

s-l1600.jpg

I did build this kit years ago, and chopped the top.  Unfortunately, it looked like something Homer Simpson might have done.  Lumpy, and the chop ended up too extreme because I didn't measure correctly and kept taking more and more plastic off the pillars in order to get everything to line up.

The Jimmy Flintstone '34 chopped sedan is just the chopped section from the ZZ Top kit (which I also built years ago, and yup, the roof was a poor fit), so I've decided to build the Thom Taylor kit with the parts in the box.  Not going to use the same paint scheme, though.  Too dated.

I think I can make it look good despite its shortcomings.

Edited by olddude55
add info