Model Cars Magazine Forum

way gone mustang

plumnuts

I wasen't expecting this kind of responce from this build ,but I'm jazzed that it is.

I got the rough body done so primed it to be able to get a better visual on body lines and waves in the roof.

dosen't look that bad and thought you could get a better visual with some color.

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

moving forward and getting pumped. :P

Interesting idea bro show your local ford dealership you never know you might have a future design in you hands.

P.S. patin that idea so if ford uses it they have to pay you.Just looking out for you ;) .

thanks for watching my back bro. we'll see what it lookes like when it's done. you know the car designers are on these model sites robbing the ideas before thay even get done. :lol:

:angry: hay guyes I need help! if you look at the back of the wagon, the back window area is small. I,v made several

frames and had no luck. the thicker plastic with stability makes the window too small and the thin plastic dosen't have the

ability to hinge and hold the gate without breaking. I would really like to just make a nice strong window that I could glue the gate on and hinge. I have never made a window and dont know if it would be strong enough anyway.

not to mention the window will have to be very convex to look good. please give input on what product to use and how to

make a convex window that will be the same thickness throughout.

all input welcome ant Im willing to experament.

:huh: hay guyes I need help! if you look at the back of the wagon, the back window area is small. I,v made several

frames and had no luck. the thicker plastic with stability makes the window too small and the thin plastic dosen't have the

ability to hinge and hold the gate without breaking. I would really like to just make a nice strong window that I could glue the gate on and hinge. I have never made a window and dont know if it would be strong enough anyway.

not to mention the window will have to be very convex to look good. please give input on what product to use and how to

make a convex window that will be the same thickness throughout.

all input welcome ant Im willing to experament.

B) Hi Mike

I'm going to answere your P.M. here, as it may help others too.

I see two choice here. The first is to flatten the rear curved area so it matches the forward straight area of this pillar. The curve is nice, but to me is a little clumsy looking with the "Edgyness" and straight "Crisp" lines on the rest of the car.

That's sorta the theme, plus you've kind of boxed yourself in by doing this by the "Seat of Your pants" B) , instead of having this pretty much planned out, and fitted ahead of time.

If it was me, and I had all this work in it so far , I'd take my time for this window detail.

I'd make a mold to vacuum form the window, and make it so the plastic forms about a 1/16 inch down all four sides, forming a trough for a flat frame to fit into, and the glue area would be on the sides, out of site.

Measure the front window flange width where it's to be painted black, and make your frame the same width to match and keep the build balanced. Once you have your window trimmed to size, you can use that to fit the frame into, and then build a hinge and attach that to the back of the frame, and then paint it black to match the front window. I would use Detail Masters window tint on both windows to really give it that contemporary believeable look. Get your hinge working good and everything test fitted and then glued into place, assuming you use "Slip hinges" so the moveable parts can be removed.

After the window is tinted, you can slide the frame into the window, and put a little epoxy glue on the edges. Re-slide the hinge back onto the body, and VOILA a working hinged rear custom made window and you've learned a ton of new skills

The second choice would be to make a curved pattern and vacuum form a window to shape that forms over the side of the mold like on #1 above, and would fit the opening of the rear window, exactly the same as #1 choice, but this is curved.

Next, make a nicely curved frame, same as above, that would fit inside the vacuum formed window. If you have donor body's and parts laying around, find a shape already with the right curve or something close, and use some flat body pieces for the top and bottom pices that connect the two side curved pieces. Use super-glue to bond them together, and use ZAP IT to set.

If you can't get the curve quite the same, vacuum form a donor window, wax the inside so filler won't stick, add some type of filler like Evercoat. Cover the curved area on the frame with the filler and press into the back of the formed window. Remove in about an hour, and again VOILA, perfectly shaped frame, ready to be sanded, hinged, painted black and installed.

I very seldomly use Evergreen strips, because injection molded plastic is so much thicker, stronger and ridged. Paint the frame black to look like the the front windshield where the outside of the glass is to be painted black. This forms a nice ridged support for hinging, and is hidden, and so is the glue area as explained in step one.

I'm sure some of this is confusing, so any questions I will gladly answer - dave B)

WOW GUYS the helping hands on this site never end to amaze me. ;) so I have taken a little here and a little more there and have somthing in the hole anyway. first attemt would have been super cool ,but it broke in half. it had defroster lines in it.

second attempt seems to be close ,but has some small gaps in the corners that I don't like. ended up flatening the back a little (thanks dave for the styling tip) and you will be glad to know" LOWAGON "is still in one piece. :huh:

I may have to downsize the glass a little and build a thin frame to fill gaps. over all a royal pain ,but when its painted and I flip that back open it will be worth it :D

Thanks again for the offer of giving up a back window unforgiven . B) let me know if I could help you somtime. the parts box is small ,but your welcome to anything in it. ;)

Thanks again for the offer of giving up a back window unforgiven . :) let me know if I could help you somtime. the parts box is small ,but your welcome to anything in it. ;)

Hay brother you were in a bind over this build, and I like to see people succeed, and I dont mind helping a modeler out, lord now's I've had a few help me out, and the only way I know how to say thank you, and mean it is to help another modeler out of a tuff spot, if I can, the pleasure was all mine in extending my hand to help.

Thank you for the offer...

I wondered where you went, I knew you wouldn't give up, it looks good, really it does bro,and where you have the hinges, looks like they are just at the right spot, tho I dont think you had much of a choice did you? keep it up man it's looking good.

OH and as for Thunderpannel, it's still inplay just not on the bench yet...

Edited by unforgiven

I wondered where you went, I knew you wouldn't give up, it looks good, really it does bro,and where you have the hinges, looks like they are just at the right spot, tho I dont think you had much of a choice did you? keep it up man it's looking good.

OH and as for Thunderpannel, it's still inplay just not on the bench yet...

thanks bro ,just had to step back a little so it didn't hit the wall. looking forward to the thunderpannel, let me know if I can help with anything. :P

I would like to say she's almost done ,but I'd be telling a fib. honestly I just burnt out on it, and didn't have the patiants when some thing went wrong. and it seemed like everything went wrong. the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to scrap it. so way gone mustang has been put in the box and set aside for another day.

• 1 month later...

well after stairing at it on the shelf I finally decided to pull her down ,dust her off and take the drimmel to her. :D

no I didn't cut her up, I made some repairs where she cracked. putty dosen't hold well when its over 10 yr. old.

so I broke down and got some new putty, and smoothed her out. also fabed up all the upholstery where it use to be trunk.

and got a floor in there. painted her and put er together. took some pics and posted under glass. :D

see ya over there. :)