Model Cars Magazine Forum

Differences between Revell USA and Revell Germany 1970 Firebird?

Among other kits I've been intending to build, I want to get a Revell 1970 Pontiac Firebird. I've been looking up reviews and information on the kit, and apparently, certain issues lack the "Trans Am" lettering due to licensing issues or something like that. However, a search on the latest Revell of Germany issue reveals that the decal sheet has the "Trans Am" letters. However, I don't know if the latest Revell USA issue has those in the decal sheet, and I'm also unsure if there are any other differences between the kits. Can anybody shed some more light on this?

58 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

I checked a video on youtube that shows the decal sheet ,,, no "Trans Am" lettering on the current reissue.

I'm guessing that was for the Revell USA issue, because a thread I saw on the Revell Germany version had the Trans Am lettering. I'm just asking because I don't want to have to pay extra for a separate decal sheet that does have it, although, given prices I've seen on eBay for the current Revell USA vs. Revell Germany reissues, I have the strange feeling like it might be cheaper to get the Revell USA version and get that separate decal sheet.

6 minutes ago, ABC Auto Industry said:

I'm guessing that was for the Revell USA issue, because a thread I saw on the Revell Germany version had the Trans Am lettering. I'm just asking because I don't want to have to pay extra for a separate decal sheet that does have it, although, given prices I've seen on eBay for the current Revell USA vs. Revell Germany reissues, I have the strange feeling like it might be cheaper to get the Revell USA version and get that separate decal sheet.

Yes, sorry, That was an hpiguy video so it was the US kit. 

6 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Yes, sorry, That was an hpiguy video so it was the US kit. 

Thought so. Just in case, I'm going to check prices on aftermarket decal sheets to see whether it would be worth it to spend the extra money on the Revell Germany version. Strange that that one would have the Trans Am lettering and not the US one, though...

9 minutes ago, ABC Auto Industry said:

Thought so. Just in case, I'm going to check prices on aftermarket decal sheets to see whether it would be worth it to spend the extra money on the Revell Germany version. Strange that that one would have the Trans Am lettering and not the US one, though...

Probably a regional thing. 

Check with Keith Marks. He's not too expensive.

IIRC, his e-mail is ,, mofobow@hotmail.com 

This is what his sheet for the '73-'78 T/A looks like. Should be enough scripts to do a couple cars without the bird.

IMG 1678

Fun fact ,, most people think the hood bird was standard equipment on Trans Ams, it wasn't. It was an option that cost quite a bit [around $300 for my '85] and not all T/As had it. 

But it's hard to picture a 2nd gen without it, pretty well mandatory for the mid to late '70s cars.

Or you could ask if anyone has a set of blue decals left over from the MPC/AMT '77 T/A. The last reissue came with three colors on the decal sheet so someone might have a set they'd part with.  The '77 lettering is the correct style.

Edited by Can-Con
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...