Model Cars Magazine Forum

How Do I Achieve this Paint Job?

Ok below are two pictures with the paintjob type I am trying to achieve.

The first is from a modeler on our forums "dade" the second is a real vehicle.

Im trying to do the black chain link thing in "dade"s model. It looks like the design is under a pearl finish which is exactly what im trying to achieve. Only my design will have rainbow instead of all black.

So here we go:

Pic 1: Dades Model:

sweetgucci.jpg

Pic 2 Real Job:

guccijob.jpg

Edited by hungry4knowhow

Photo 1 was very likely a decal. A mask is possible but very difficult. It would be virtually impossible to keep a mask at a consistent height off the body and keep all the shapes the same shape.

Photo 2 is most likely a vinyl wrap. I would suggest a custom decal for either of these.

Photo 1 was very likely a decal. A mask is possible but very difficult. It would be virtually impossible to keep a mask at a consistent height off the body and keep all the shapes the same shape.

Photo 2 is most likely a vinyl wrap. I would suggest a custom decal for either of these.

I thought a decal might be recommended. In the case that thats the route I take, am I right that there is a pearl coat or semi trans coat of some sort ontop of the decal in pic one? Or is it just a clearcoat ontop of it? I know you cant be sure(maybe you can) but what does your gut say?

/EDIT after looking at Dades model closer you can see that its on the side of the body as well...still decal? it looks much less noticable so its either fade painted on or definitely some color over the top of it...thats my noob .02 though

Edited by hungry4knowhow

I thought a decal might be recommended. In the case that thats the route I take, am I right that there is a pearl coat or semi trans coat of some sort ontop of the decal in pic one? Or is it just a clearcoat ontop of it? I know you cant be sure(maybe you can) but what does your gut say?

LASE U COVER THE CAR AND PAINT THEN WET SAND AND CLEAR

/EDIT after looking at Dades model closer you can see that its on the side of the body as well...still decal? it looks much less noticable so its either fade painted on or definitely some color over the top of it...thats my noob .02 though

There is definitely a clear coat and possibly pearl on top of the pattern (whether he used a decal or real lace).

IMHO, a decal would be much better to use for a "whole car" lace job. Just imagine trying to get real lace to go around corners AND keep the pattern consistent AND the same height above the body. It WILL get distorted and lift up when going around curves. For a roof only or for filling in a "panel paint" scheme, real lace is ok. One benefit to lace is that you get to choose both colors. A decal may not offer the exact shade you want. Of course, you can work around that by spraying a candy over it.

Something else to consider when doing a 1/24 lace paint job is how the whole paint job would look if enlarged 24 times. You can get dollhouse lace, but it's not really a 1/24 version of anything. A custom decal can be exactly the pattern you want, and exactly the size you want. Find some lace that you like, have that reproduced in a graphics program, then you can print it in any color and size you want.

instead of lace, you could use fishnet stockings.

spray the first color (i.e. the darker color in this case)

put the fishnet over the body and stretch it as uniform as you can

spray the second color (i.e. the lighter colro in this case)

let it flash off

remove the stocking from body

spray the candy color over that

clear coat

sit back and enjoy

The Fullsize Caddy is wrapped in a Vinyl Fucci (Fake Gucci pattern, and personally will never understand why anyone outside of a Car Show would have that on their car, as if a Company Rep spotted them, could you say Fat Trade Mark Lawsuit... Yes they do look cool cause it's different somewhat, but I don't have the money to afford the consequences) :blink:

As for the '76 Donk Glasshouse (Only Bodystyle that should be refered to by this name), it looks to me almost like Fatkidd's Fishnet idea in the smaller pic, but looks like a Metal Screen Mesh Pattern when you enlarge the pic (Pattern is fairly thick between the design openings, and you can see how the top edges of the bodysides pattern looks fairly lighter than the flatter surface areas.. That actually suggests the spray templated wasn't flexed or flexible when the effect was being attempted, thus the edges are lighter, rather than uniform with the rest of the body).....

The car in the first photo looks like it was painted first in a burgundy, then was placed some chicken wire on top, then sprayed in a lighter shade, then cleared. As for getting the effect of the second car, you would probly need to create decals. Perhaps print a pattern on decal paper and apply one panel at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a lace paint job. To decal the whole car would be a nightmare,trying to get it all square.

To lace a body like this first paint the entire care with your base color.Then mask off the sides, lace it and mask the top and lace the sides.

Counting the coats is the way to get even lace patterns.Then pearl and or clear the whole car.

This is a real tough paint job to pull off. If you watch American Chopper on TV, Nub did a "reptile" like paint on the give a way bike for the blond...

stockings streched over the base gave him the "scales" Good luck!

Lace is definately the way to achieve that paint job, it was done alot in the 70's. You can get some material from Walmart really cheap, I use the stuff that kinda feels like plastic. Here is one I did a while ago, looks straight out of the early 70's.........

camvettedart011-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

70scamside-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

LISTEN TO FRANK.....HE KNOWS!!!