Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

I thought I would tell a little about myself as a way of "breaking the ice".

I graduated from Colorado University in 1966 and was promptly drafted into the Army. I went to OCS and became an officer. After attending flight school, I went to Vietnam in 1968 and came back in 1969. I then became an instructor pilot. I left active duty in 1973 and went into the California National Guard, where I was the chief maintenance officer for the state.

I was stationed at the Pentagon from 1983-1987, when I was the Aviation Maintenance Staff Officer for the Chief of the Army Reserve. I retired in 1987.

I then became a concrete contractor in California and Nevada. I was also a consultant in tilt up concrete design. I closed my business in the mid 90s and went on to my first love; building hot rods.

I retired for good in 2004. I met Nancy in 1990. She is a great granddaughter of W.K. Kellogg; the cereal king. She attended the Berkeley school of textile arts. She is a nationally known tapestry weaver, among other things.

I began building model cars in 1953, when I modified Highway Pioneers Revell models into hot rods. I became a serious gear-head and built many AMT models during the 50s. I recently began building again at the insistence of Nancy.

Edited by Helipilot16

Nice to meet you Marcus,

First off I want to thank you for your service to America, in a very turbulent time in our history. Much respect for you sir.

With your experience in avation, do you build any helo/plane kits?

Good to have you on board, Sir.

Edited by RJWood

Nice to meet you Marcus,

First off I want to thank you for your service to America, in a very turbulent time in our history. Much respect for you sir.

With your experience in avation, do you build any helo/plane kits?

Good to have you on board, Sir.

I haven't built any aviation models yet, but I have two OH6 helicopters to build soon.

I built a Huey helicopter once. it was about 20" long when complete. Did a nice job with it. Well, the day after it was finished I was goofin around on my bed and jumped off the end right on top of my Huey. I was about 13 or 14 years old. I'll be 51 next month and I can still remember the sick feeling in my stomach after doing that. I never leave models on the floor anymore. LOL

It's always nice to get to know a person a little better. This makes me wonder what we would all find out about each other if we went into this kind of detail? I am afraid a lot of lies would be told though :rolleyes:

I don't talk about this kind of stuff because when I do....people start to think I am full of it , or am just bragging. Neither is true. :lol:

Hey Col. do you by any chance know a Hugh Mills? He was a scout leader and instructor also, ( I know it is a big Army but ya never know) and has written some on the subject

also is a frequent flyer on the following site: http://www.network54.com/Forum/163130/

I don't know him personally but he has answered many a questions about Loaches for me.

Hey Col. do you by any chance know a Hugh Mills? He was a scout leader and instructor also, ( I know it is a big Army but ya never know) and has written some on the subject

also is a frequent flyer on the following site: http://www.network54.com/Forum/163130/

I don't know him personally but he has answered many a questions about Loaches for me.

We have corresponded, but I have never met him. I find his book to be pretty fanciful. He was in a different part of Vietnam than I was. He is a self promoter in the same sense as was David Hackworth, with whom I was well acquainted. If you are interested, I have written a bit on the subject of my service also. It is on my website;http://www.deadcamel.net/

Edited by Helipilot16