Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dremel Tool

Guys I just purchased a Dremel tool to facilitate cutting and doing general body work. What methods are you guys using to make wheel wells larger? I am building a Ford Galaxie stock car. I need to make the wheel wells larger to fit some really cool Hoosier tires I recently purchased on ebay. I want to do this right the first time. I have never ventured this far into a model before, but some of the stuff you guys are posting on here coupled with the pics on the websites, and forums, well, they are just too tempting! I too want to be a modeling guru, so all feedback is greatly appreciated!

Well, first of all be sure to make a template with a piece of paper or cardstock(Index cards) so you can get both sides correct. I will usually tape the whole quarter with tape and then transfer the template to the body using a pencil. I then cut the tape away exposing the area to be removed. This at least should get you even on both sides. Work slowly to remove the material up to your tape line. It is best to not get too close and use a file for the last little bits. Remember that a Dremel can blast a plastic body almost in half if you are not paying attention!!! Last I will usually add some evergreen strip to re-create the fender lip. Some fine sanding and mabe a bit of putty and you should be OK!!! Hopefully you have a scrap body to try it on first!!! Hope this helps!! Let us know if you do it and how it turned out!!! Good luck!! KT

A dremel is a great tool...I got mine for Christmas two years ago, from my mom. I'm not too good at using it yet, but you want to make sure that you have lots of protection.

The dremel can fling sharp, pointy bits of heated plastic in all directions, so wear safety glasses...and you want to wear heavy gloves, I wear a set of Mechanix brand gloves.

I have not tried it yet, but I hear it's really great for sanding tires for a more accurate look. I build alot of NASCAR and they look better with sanded tires....and it just makes my hand hurt to sand them freehand.

I will try that soon (hopefully by the end of the year) and I'm sure it would work well for street car use, as well.

if your dremel is flinging hot plastic then you are running it too fast. personally i use the "mighty mite" cordless one even though i have a full featured variable speed plug in one. the cordless one doesnt really have enough power to melt plastic which is exactly what i want. and its pretty harmless too...ive jabbed my finger with a rotating grinder bit and it didnt even break the skin. now that nasty looking circular saw thing...watch out!

but i do always wear eye protection when i use it...i have seen stuff get flung across the room even with the low power one on slow speed.

i find it most helpful during final assembly when the part you swore fit the hundred times you test fitted it somehow doesnt fit. its great for a little localized grinding in spots it would be near impossible to get a file or sanding stick into.

I finally found an old sewing machine foot control for my motor tool. It has two outlets, one foot controlled the other staight through. I set the tool speed to the max I want to use,(ie. 1/2 speed), then use my foot to control it. You can start and stop with one hand on the work piece and one firmly holding the tool. It will really make the motor crawl and prevent meltdown. Why did I wait so long?

Well, I just finished my wheel wells with my new Dremel tool. This thing is awesome and it is very easy to use. I found that it works slow enough where I can free hand the wheel wells and have pretty consistant results across the board. I bought the electrical powered version of the Dremel. It has a variable speed adjustment, I used the lowest setting and it worked out great. My intentions with this tool are to modify car bodys, so I think it is just perfect for what I wanted to achieve.