Model Cars Magazine Forum

60s Styled 37 Chevy Gasser

dragcarz

On 7/10/2023 at 6:42 AM, dragcarz said:

Thanks Jim, I’m going to start pinning more of my parts. I thought the location marks for the headlights would show through the paint and while one was faint,the other disappeared. Same for the tail lights, the instructions said to drill out the holes indicated under the body, but there were none. There was locating holes for the door handles which I really appreciated. A little more prep before painting would save me a lot of headaches. Thanks for the advice!

Happy to help, Roger huh....It surprises me that it's not done by everyone already. When I started drilling and pinning it was just for handles and mirrors and I used beading wire and #80 bits but would break the bits regularly.  I couldn't keep bits that small from breaking so now I'm using, I think, #76  with .020 brass. I will sand the wire with 320 grit to give maximum tooth for the CA, which seems to love brass anyway ( delusion?  Perhaps...) but, with handles and mirrors, the hole will be pretty shallow so maximize adhesion by sanding the brass. Others use different materials as pins but I like brass. I find it ideal for this application but you may find other things too. Getting good bits is tricky.

Save every little piece of rod. Sometimes I will leave the rod long after inserting in the handle and, if possible, glue with CA on the inside of the body leaving no trace outside. After inserting the rod in the handle or mirror, be sure to remove the excess CA that squeezes out with a pointed swab. The drilling operation on something as small as a door handle isn't for everyone but if I can do it with my 70+ arthritic hands,  you probably can too. I have found pinning a good method for all sorts of problem solving where just gluing may not be adequate. 

• 2 weeks later...