Model Cars Magazine Forum

Future projects

FujimiLover

Hello there! I'm having so much fun with my RX7, I'm tempted to purchase these three cars next! I love this style of tuning.

Does anybody know what color the MR2 is supposed to be? It's sort of on the same shade as British Racing green, but I seriously doubt being a Japanese car, that it's British Racing Green. So what color is it? Was thinking of possibly gold mesh wheels with tan interior against the green?

Also, the next two silver cars will probably be a light gun-metal color. Almost a silver, but not as bright. And no where near as dark as my RX7.

ToyotaMR2SW20.jpg

VeilsideToyotaMR2.jpg

VeilsideNissanZ32300ZXFairlady.jpg

OK, they're nice lookin cars,even if I'm not into rice burners, but whats with all the letters an numbers behind the make? MR-2 I get as the cars name, but what the *$#& does the other stuff mean?SW20? ZR32 G1 model? Do the Japs got some kinda fixation with the American alphabet? That's just one of the reasons I can't get into them, different models OF THE SAME CAR, with only letters an numbers to differentiate them? And they STILL all look the same? I don't understand, so I'll just leave them alone! But I do hope yours turn out well for you, caz they are nice sporty lookin cars. B)

Edited by george 53

LOL! Wow George, well. I think those other numbers refer to the model kit as there are several versions of the same car. I dont' think they refer to the car itselfe. Unfortunetly, I just tried sending payment for the three kit's but I guess the price-tag for all three was higher than what my credit card could handle. However, I think I have enough credit for at least the green MR2, so I'll aim for that one next, I also think it's more rare of a kit than the Veilside models.

Still the question I have, is what green do they use on the MR2 and what would be the best green to use for painting it? I dont' want to use British Racing green as it's not a British car. But I probably will go for a two-tone military green colors for the interior! Yes, I like two-tone interiros as if you haven't figured out from the RX7 yet! LOL!

RX7 is nearly completed. Windows and lenses are in place. Waiting for the inside mirror's paint to dry then stick it on. Should be able to put the body on the chassis tonight.

Actually, I just noticed my selfe that BOTH MR2 kit's have that SW20 on it. So nevermind my reply! That is a good question, probably chassis designation like on the Toyota Trueno being an AE86? Who knows..............................

Edited by FujimiLover

Thank you for that info, I knew it was somewhere along those lines like the references to the AE86. Anyway, it appears that my credit card, as small as it is, is maxed out and I'm flat broke. So, no more model building for me for a while. Unless I pick one up at local hobby shop with cash on hand. I just hope that when my account is back in shape that these kit's will still be around cause I'd really like to build'em and add theme to the RX7.

Fortunetly, being broke that I am, I've already had that RX7 available to me laying around under my workbench waiting to be opened and used!

Well, fortunetly for me. Some of my ebay sellers are nice enough to wait for two months for me to have enough credit on the account to pay for these kit's. So you may still yet see these kit's on my workbench!

Please feel free to post pictures of your future projects. Kit's that you just purchased that are still in the box!

I also plan on building two Koenig-Specials Competition model kit's. One a convertible, and one the hard-top version. Was thinking of painting both to match identically with gun-metal gray on the outside and tan interior. Or, should they be different as their different in style?

KS-Comfort.jpg

KS-ComfortSpider.jpg

Edited by FujimiLover

Pic's would be helpfull yes, do you know what color he used? I'm thinking for the Veilsides useing the same Light Gun-Metal gray I used on my 1/43 scale Honda Insight, I like it far better than plain jane silver. To me, plain silver look's too much like bare metal.

I may pick up the two Koenig's a week from Tuesday if local hobby shop has'em. Some times they do, and some times they dont'. They usually have everything I want when I'm flat broke. :lol:

Edited by FujimiLover

Thank you for those pictures. Do you know what they call that blue on that MR2? Maybe that'll be easier to match then green? Or should I just find a generic Forst Green?

As for the Koenig models, I absolutely love white, but find that white amplifies mistakes like crazy! Especially those pesky window trims............................

Edited by FujimiLover

Like others have said, most of the letters and such after the name are the chassis codes.

1st gen MR2 are AW11

2nd gen MR2 are SW20

I don't know the chassis code for the 3rd gen MR2

Celicas are RA-

1st gen are RA22/23 RA28/29 I have an RA29 that has been posted in this forum.

2nd gen are RA41/43 I think

3rd gen are RA61/67

after that they go FWD and don't count :blink:

The supras are

Mk1 MA46

Mk2 MA67 I have one

Mk 3 MA70 I have one as well

Mk4 JZA70 don't have one yet :rolleyes:

The Z series is a bit harder. Nissan changed the chassis code somewhere in the run, but I am not sure where

I believe that the first-3rd gen are SA30s, but I might be wrong

Then I know they start the Z series

Z30-Z35 so far I believe.

The kits you have listed are both 2nd gen MR2s. 1st gen MR2s are very boxy. The SW20 is actually my favorite. I don't think Toyota got it any better than that one. The 300ZX you have is a second gen of the new chassis. The first being the Z31. The one you show is the Z32 chassis, which is notable for being the first twin turbo model of the Z series.

Silvias, are S chassis code. They actually started in the early to mid eighties with the 200SX, which I believe is an S11 or S12 chassis. The 180/240SX is the S13-S15 chassis and are most popular with the drifting crowd.

sorry, didn't mean to lecture, early Japanese cars are another hobby that I can't afford. I wouldn't worry about what color the green MR2 is and just paint it whatever color strikes your fancy. I have been using the high impact colors from the sixties for alot of my tuner style builds lately. Just seems fitting to paint them those kinds of colors.

Oh yeah, I would go for the veilside SW20 before the other one, but that is just personal preference on my part.

Edited by Ken

Do you guy's buy as you build, or do you like to stock up on kit's for later say like a "rainy day" type deal? Do you go hunting for specific kit's to build, and/or do you just pick up whatever suits your fancy at the moment? Do you buy alot of your kits on-line, or local hobby shop and what's the best hobby shop you've loved?

My favorite hobby shop used to be one in Miami that I would visit as a young kid back in the 80's when visiting Grandma durring Christmas. It was called Orange Blossom Hobbies and they had an amazing collection of model kit's. Sadly, that place is long since gone and with Grandma gone as well, we never visit there anymore. Now when I visit my brother in California, there's a nice hobby shop near his place, but they dont' always have the best selection.

Right now for me, we have two Hobby Town USA's, one same side of town as where we live, and the other is about maybe 10 miles down the road or something like that. I prefer on-line shopping these day's............................

Again, feel free to post your future project's! Either just purchased, or wish lists! Speaking of which, here's another one on my wish list.

ToyotaMR2AW11.jpg

Edited by FujimiLover

Ah, the Fujimi AW11 MR2. I have a couple of the 'stock' kits from them. They were originally motorized, so some of the interior details are a bit shallow, but they build up to look like 1st gen MR2s. Most of us stock up. I myself, have 5 Kei Office S15s, 3 of the Mazadaspeed FD RX-7s, 3 of the C-West FD RX-7s, a couple of the Fujimi SW20s and a bunch of other import stuff. Most of my kits come from online. We only have one Hobby Town nearby and he deals mostly in RC and armor. My favorite hobby shop was when I was living back home with the parents in Maryland. Bel Air hobbies used to be a great shop and there was one out on Route 1 I believe.

Oh, Mike, that 91 Cressida wagon, nice choice. The 7m drops in as does the JZ series. Found one yesterday during a junkyard crawl. They are pretty rare compared to their four door brothers. Here is the wagon I found.

cressywagon.jpg

The yard also had 3 four door cressies, 6 82-86 supras and a bunch of other stuff, including a very rare 1969 Toyota Corona 2 door coupe. Unfortunately, the corona suffered from a severe case of tin worm. the only thing in the trunk was the rear axle and springs ;)

As I said in the 'post your tuners' I have used most of me free time for my 1:1 projects. I have no pics of my scale projects right now.

I used to have an 88 Honda CRX SI that I "tuned". It was a blast to drive and alot of fun to work on, a peice of cake really except for some things. It just started getting expensive to keep it in top shape so with help from dear old Dad we traded a couple of cars in for my new 2001 Honda Insight. I've yet to do my own work on that car and probably afraid to touch it as it's sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much newer than the CRX. Only downside of the Insight is that there aren't any "upgrades" for it so it's pretty much bone stock with the exception of a Momo gear knob which feels just right with the rest of the car.

So, I'm too broke to work on 1:1 scale cars so models are my thing.

I've also built this first gen MR2 several times along time ago and it's chassis/interior is very similar to my RX7 kit. However, I've not seen one done up this wild before with the wide fenders and big wing. I kind of like it, suits my style.

Edited by FujimiLover

That Cressida Wagon / 2JZ swap is a 1:1 wish for me. After seeing how easy it was to trop a 7M in my boss's 4runner Rockcrawler, it made me want to "Suprafy" something. Just need to locate....well, Everthing for the project.

The cressida is the easy part. I know of two four doors right now for sale at less than 500$ a piece. The 2JZ swap... is like another 10 grand on top of it, if you want the turbo verision. Of course, if you are going to drop a 2JZ in why not go turbo!!! I bought the 7M supra to drop the engine in my 77. It was too straight to cut up for parts. The other supra was just being in the right place at the right time. I almost bought a 7M turbo supra this last week for 600$ or so. It needed a headgasket, but that is normal for these cars. A 7M-GTE would have been killer in the 83 Supra!!

Here's another kit from Fujimi I want to do. The picture is not of the model kit, but of the real car. Unfortunetly, I have not yet found a picture of the kit itselfe. It is a 1989 Honda CRX SI modified from the Honda-tuner Mugen. This very rare kit has optional bumpers and rear wing and is one of my fav kit's.

MugenCRXPro2.jpg

I'm going to continue looking for the picture of the actual kit.

Just sent payment for this model kit

ToyotaMR2SW20.jpg

and for a 1/43 scale Ebbro die-cast of my Honda Insight, which will be blue in color as it arrives but I plan on making it look exactly like my real car.

HondaInsightEbbro.jpg

I'll need to find a silver that matches this.

DSC08909.jpg

So those are two future projects coming!

Edited by FujimiLover