Model Cars Magazine Forum

First Diorama Garage...

LowJay

Welcome to the Forum Lo J! I know your gonna LIKE it here,EVERYONE does(how can they help it?) Your Garage is startin off good, check out the Diorama section for some cool ideas! Our Brother Scott has a REALLY good one goin, or if you got back a bit farther, you'll find a WHOLE city built by George(not me) that's a KILLER too! Lotsa guys are doin them, so you won't be lonely at all! Keep us posted, an lets see more wip pics, caz I just love them! B)

Welcome to the forum and that looks to be a real good start to your diorama!

Can I make an honest suggestion though? SEAL those edges of the board with white glue before going too much farther. It'll protect the edges from coming apart or absorbing anything that you don't want in there.

You'd be surprised just how quick the foam core board will suck up paint or glue and then the core becomes a ruined mess making the panel unusable. Trust me, I learned this the hard way!

Another thing you can use for making the details for your diorama is those cheap plastic signs from Wally World or Lowes. Just make sure you get the thick ones when you buy them. The thin ones will work, but the thick ones provide a better edge for gluing and make a much better and sturdier structure.

To see what can be made from signs, check out my build that George was kind enough to mention already:

The Oasis Convenience Store

Just make sure you take a fine course sand paper and sand the lettering and lines down smooth where it's going to show unless you are going to be covering it with something that will hide it completely. If you don't, it'll show through the paint.

I almost forgot, the BEST information I received when I started building dioramas was that 1 mm = 1 in. Stick with that and everything will fall into place.

If you have any questions about anything, just yell. If I can help I will.

Hope this helps,

-Scott H.

Edited by Scott H. AKA Cpt. Bondo

Scott, I was wondering what kind of white glue. Just like some Elmer's glue?

Here's an answer Ed Shaver gave a while back about using Foam Core Boards for Dioramas:

Foam core is very easy to cut. I use a #11 X-acto blade and a steel rule to guide me. I can lay out all of my cuts with a #2 pencil and just start my cuts. Gluing is easy as well. I simply use "White Glue or Epoxy to join everything together. If you need to clamp something together , use straight pins to hold everything in place until the glue is set.

On the exterior walls, you will certainly want windows of some sort. No problem, I use very thin Evergreen Strip to line the edges as they make a great "Trim around the windows . Then simply build you're window casings. Fit them into the window socket an wham, window.

Now a word of caution here, you should "SEAL†the edges of the foam core you will expose BEFORE you paint! Some paints will desolate foam so be careful!!! I generally use white glue to seal ANY exposed edge. As for painting the face, any paint except some two part epoxies I have seen used in Auto refinishing seem appropriate. The white paper surface is OK with most finishes.

Since Ed is taking a break from the forums for a while, I used one of his answers about the use of Foam Core Board as he is very knowledgeable on the subject.

I personally use Elmer's Craft Bond All Purpose Glue on mine because I'm working inside and don't want the smell of epoxy in my house, but I know they both work well.

Hope this helps,

-Scott H.

Edited by Scott H. AKA Cpt. Bondo

Here's an answer Ed Shaver gave a while back about using Foam Core Boards for Dioramas:

Since Ed is taking a break from the forums for a while, I used one of his answers about the use of Foam Core Board as he is very knowledgeable on the subject.

I personally use Elmer's Craft Bond All Purpose Glue on mine because I'm working inside and don't want the smell of epoxy in my house, but I know they both work well.

Hope this helps,

-Scott H.

Thanks Scott, helps a lot!! :wub: