Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gordon Murray T-50

dino246gt

So it's 2024, a new year and I'm starting a new project. The new Tamiya kit of Gordon Murrays successor to the legendary McLaren F1!

The T-50.

It does have a weird rear fan, but otherwise the styling is quite pleasing, and keeping with the central driver and slightly pushed back, 2 passengers.

I started with the engine, it's such a pleasure to paint and assemble, right out of the box!

Each picture has a bit more added:

IMG_0709.JPG

IMG_0710.JPG

IMG_0711.JPG

• Like 3

I made some rear seat inserts, and opened up holes for shoulder harnesses.

The console and hand brake are so cool, easily detailed.

Here's my "rear" seats with harnesses installed.

Got the front suspension together.

IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0750.JPG

IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0754.JPG

• Like 3

The pedals have decals for the intricate pattern, interesting!

I painted up the interior components, using orange for the accent, as on the cam overs and brake calipers.

Here's the dash and door cards assembled with video screens for side cameras instead of mirrors.

And just placed onto the floor as the dash and door cards will be glued to the upper body later.

IMG_0739.JPG

IMG_0744.JPG

IMG_0764.JPG

IMG_0767.jpg

• Like 3

Got body panels put together and primed, and painted!

I used Alclad "Exhaust manifold" for the body color for something different, no clear.

After painted the sub structure semi-gloss black, I masked and sprayed gloss black.

Here it is with all glass installed, well there are still glass panels over the engine to do.

Cheers!

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0795.JPG

IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_0819.JPG

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SpikeSchumacher said:

I have this kit in my "to be built" queue. Trying to decide what color to go with... 

I was hooked on orange accents but no idea what colour to use, ended up adding much more orange accents than called for and a very unusual, for me, body colour!

It's difficult trying to imagine a colour for exotics, I'm struggling with that for my Pagani Huayra!

I started building this kit, with the engine but became "addicted" to it because the kit itself is such a pleasure to build, such great quality and so many parts, I just love it!

I’m watching with interest. I love the interior - the orange accents look great. I’ve also got the kit in my stash, so looking forward to putting it together. 
Strange that Tamiya did not mould the detail into the pedals and use decals instead. 

• 1 month later...