Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1967 Chevelle SS 396

karbuildr

Timeless...the 66 and 67 were the best looking designs of their era and your Red Chevelle proves that w/o a doubt!

My brother in law told me of a story involving him and my dad.  My brother in law, Mike, had just purchased a 67 Chevelle SS 396 and offered to take Pops for a ride in it.

Now Pops had his share of some of early Detroit's muscle offerings and made it known to Mike that he didn't think his newly acquired Chevolet could live up to the likes of his previously owned Pontiacs 389 3 carb set up.  Mike took that as the equivalent of a challenge inferred with a slap to the cheek with a velvet glove.

Starting out was uneventful while navigating the neighborhood,  a few snaps of the throttle at the beginning of each block only to catch the stop sign at the end was a virtue of patience until the main highway was finally the destination.......

Mike says he waited for traffic passed and get a little ways down the road.  Meanwhile Pops not really aware of where or what and still inspecting the interior making comments and observation.....

Time appeared momentary to stop but the 396 rpm's transcended past time and the view through which the windshield provided gave a panoramic view of both sides of the white lines as the new car cushion of the seats were compressing from the brute acceleration.

Mike claims he caught a glimpse of Pop white knuckles, left hand clutching the seat belt strap for grip while his right arm ridgely extended towards the dash or windshield.  Eyes wide open as in total surprise along with his mouth as if he was trying to exhale all at once but no sound...the 396 was coming into it's own like a symphony with the exhuast and tires all crashing in together. 

By now the Pop's mute vocals were coming into audible understanding of religious figures and pleas to slow down....

As for myself when he told me this sometime after Pop's passing,  I can't help but chuckle because I can not think of anytime he would be so animated.  My brother in law Mike, I'm a little guarded in how I tease or taunt him these days.