Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bending Plastic

Guest Davkin

Patience is key here. What I do is light a small candle so I can keep both hands free and rather than hold the plastic right over the flame I just hold it kinda near and not for very long. You really only want the plastic warm, not hot. There will still be slight deformation but if you work it slowly and don't get it too hot the deformations are easily cleaned up with a file. Another option is to use hot water to soften the plastic, but they requires even more patience and standing over your sink while forming a frame, not exactly convenient or comfortable. Either way, heat is required, no other way around it.

Well, there is one other option, cut and glue. For some shapes that's the only option.

David

Edited by Davkin

The 1/8 tube should bend to about a 45 degree angle without heat. For more than that try boiling water poured over the localized area to be bent.

To 'bend' the .188x.188 you will have to cut it and reglue the joints. There is enough plastic there to pin the joints after they are glued. To do this drill a hole through the joint from one piece to the other and glue in a plastic or metal rod with superglue.

Heating plastic causes it to relax and revert to its previous form, usually a puddle.

Heating it beyond a temperature that you can still touch it is a problem, but if you warm it with boiling or near boiling water you should be able to manipulate it to some degree.

If this dose not get you where you need to be, let us know.

i always like adding some metal wire to the inside of the tube i want to bend

that prevents a total flattening of the tube because the wire is in the way

depending on how many bends i make in one peice i take it out when im done or just leave it in B)