Model Cars Magazine Forum

Promodified Racing Question

Hi model builders, i've been really enjoying the drag racing section lately and trying to finish a build on my bench at the same time and also thinking about a next project. By no means do i build perfectly to scale or put every last detail into a build but i do like to push my limits a bit and see how far i can get before blowing up "lol", with that being said the current project on my bench is the Revell Dodge Ram VTS and i have built it as a pro street and has been back halfed and is also my first ever back half. Its probably not correct in a lot of ways but its been a fun journey so far. Which brings me to my next project and new venture the promod category, i don't know all the terminology and parts of racing cars but trying to learn as much as possible but learning solely is hard and its time i venture forward and start asking more questions and trying to fit in more, sorry for being so long winded builders, i'm getting to the question. Been looking up the NHRA rules and have the 2024 pdf file but don't understand alot of but been trying to look thru the internet for answers to my questions so i do understand the wheelbase lengths for promod category (115in max but have not found min) and what i havent found is body lengths. Lots to read in the rules and haven't scratched the surface yet.

The kit i'm thinking of turning into my first promod is a Revell 87 Thunderbird, its been in the stash for a long time and thinking it may be a good candidate for learning more on building this type of racing class and it'll be fun in general.

Keep on building and see you in the next one.

On 4/6/2024 at 11:48 AM, NorthernWolfman said:

Hi model builders, i've been really enjoying the drag racing section lately and trying to finish a build on my bench at the same time and also thinking about a next project. By no means do i build perfectly to scale or put every last detail into a build but i do like to push my limits a bit and see how far i can get before blowing up "lol", with that being said the current project on my bench is the Revell Dodge Ram VTS and i have built it as a pro street and has been back halfed and is also my first ever back half. Its probably not correct in a lot of ways but its been a fun journey so far. Which brings me to my next project and new venture the promod category, i don't know all the terminology and parts of racing cars but trying to learn as much as possible but learning solely is hard and its time i venture forward and start asking more questions and trying to fit in more, sorry for being so long winded builders, i'm getting to the question. Been looking up the NHRA rules and have the 2024 pdf file but don't understand alot of but been trying to look thru the internet for answers to my questions so i do understand the wheelbase lengths for promod category (115in max but have not found min) and what i havent found is body lengths. Lots to read in the rules and haven't scratched the surface yet.

The kit i'm thinking of turning into my first promod is a Revell 87 Thunderbird, its been in the stash for a long time and thinking it may be a good candidate for learning more on building this type of racing class and it'll be fun in general.

Keep on building and see you in the next one.

The rule is, if its not in the rule book it isn't restricted. That's where racers "bend" the rules a bit.
Consider your question on body length. If there is a limit of 115 for the WB, then that kind of limits what body length you can have. I haven't looked at the PM rules but there may be limits to body overhang, or how close it has to be to a stock body. The limit for the body may be based on the limits for wheelbase and body mods.