Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help with AMT ERTL 1995 Corvette Please

Hi All

I love corvettes - especially the late 80s and 90s cars - grew up with these as posters on my walls.

I'd love to do a hald decent job with this kit - any experience of it out there?

the first of 2 issues I see so far are that the engine bonnet is not the same width as the rest of the body, probably sits as an overhang by about 1mm. Currently my plan is to sand it down, as heating to re-form it will end up a disaster.

the 2nd issue is seen in the image - When test assembling the body, with the interior tub in position (which is a snap fit) the transmission tunnel in the chassis (highlighted in red) hits the underside of the interior tub, and rocks on that surface. the bottom of the chassis then hangs a it low at the sides of the body.

My question - if you ahve built this - is if this will work out through the build, or if I just need to add stabilizers to stop the rocking, or if I have to sand down the other side of the transmission tunnel to remove the inteference (or minimize, as I think i would have to cut the top of the tunnel off to completely remove the inteference)

thanks for any help!

20240402_210752.jpg

20240402_211222.jpg

While I haven't much to offer in respect to your enquiries, I can tell you that this kit has its origins in late 1983 ( ! )  as the then-new (and groundbreaking) 1984 model. That chassis is almost dead-bollocks to the 1983 original.

Bottom line ? Perhaps the chassis is de facto "warped" due to the ad infinitum running of the ad sequitur annual kits ?

Best to you and regards. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't recall building this kit. I have no answer on stabilizers, but instead of filing just one surface, can you remove some material from both parts? If the chassis is too low compared to the body, it is likely you need to remove material somewhere (likely that interior/ drive shaft tunnel area)

• Thanks 1