Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950 Chevrolet Deluxe Convertible

brewsterg6

• 3 weeks later...

I started fitting some of the trim on, and have encountered some problems. I always worry that when kitbashing, the sum of the individual parts does not always add up to a great fit overall. I chose to use the head light rings from the diecast, (they are slimmer and look a little more realistic) and wanted to use the lenses from the kit. The diecast ones have a clear squre shape that shows from the spike holding them onto the kit, so the glass looks funny. The kit ones are too small, and are not rounded enough. I went for the die cast ones, buat am not happy with how they look. The other thing I did was test fit the bumper and grille. The shape of the hood by the grille is horrible, but I won't have time to fix it. It would mean repainting the whole model...and you know how fast I work! I also hacked off the too big fog lights...I like fog lights on the real car, but they are just too big and wrong looking on this model. The gap will shorten up below the hood... the grille is not glued on yet, and the hood is not right down...

With the big fog lights...

1950Chevrolet042.jpg

Without the lights...

1950Chevrolet046.jpg

1950Chevrolet041.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've started the final assembly of this build. Some real effort went into polishing and waxing the finish to get the shine from the clear coat over the flat base coat paint. I'm Ok with the results, but look forward to making improvements on my next build. I scratch built the vacuum pump for the top and detailed the firewall. The interior has been a pain getting it to go together, but hopefully I have it set. The next major thing will be getting the rear bumper to fit the pan. I've also given up on BMF, stripped the whole car, and redid it with foil tape.

I'm thinking that my next update will be Under Glass! Look for it in a couple of weeks...

1950Chevrolet051.jpg

1950Chevrolet049.jpg

Edited by brewsterg6

Just for sake of curiosity, what did you have to change to 'canadianize' it?

Not sure if you mean the real car or the model... but the real car was built in the U.S.A... as they did not build convertibles in Canada. There are no changes made to them for export from the U.S. to Canada. I also own a 1951 that was built in Oshawa, Ontario. There are quite a few factory differences between Canadian built and U.S. built cars. Most differences had to do with regional suppliers and factory setup. An example is the paint. Canadian cars had their own paint codes on the firewall tags that differ from the American numbers. Our cars used CIL paint, and US used Duco. Some colours were quite unique up here, like my Metallic Aldershot Grey, where the US used a non-metallic gray. Because our cars were built on a line with Pontiacs, a lot of components were shared. The Pontiacs up here were basically redecorated Chevys, but the Chevs used the Pontiac's 3 piece bumper, and reverse lights.

...and I had to buy a cup holder to hold my Timmies!

Edited by brewsterg6

There are a few Tim Horton's in Southeastern Mass. and Rhode Island. Can't say as though I blame you....great coffee. Just wish they were open late.

Charlie Larkin

We live on it up here! There's two in every town, and they're open 24 hrs... Is the Timmies Lingo the same there? I ordered a 'double-double' (2 cream-2 sugar) at a Dunkin' Donuts in Boston once, and the guy looked at me like I had two heads!!

We live on it up here! There's two in every town, and they're open 24 hrs... Is the Timmies Lingo the same there? I ordered a 'double-double' (2 cream-2 sugar) at a Dunkin' Donuts in Boston once, and the guy looked at me like I had two heads!!

Most DDs used to be 24 hours, but now most close at midnight, which is kinda crummy, and with so many gas stations closing at night now, too, it makes it very hard to get the occasional late night bump for the periodic long drive.

A quick guide to ordering coffee in New England:

Black (w/sugar/Sweet n' Low, whatever you like for sweetener if appropriate.)

Cream/Milk, no sugar

Regular (about 1/8 cup of cream, half & half or milk and one scoop of sugar.)

Extra cream/sugar

Oh....and next time you're in the neighbourhood, try Honeydew Donuts. Their coffee is really good, I actually like it a little better than Dunkin's. They're mostly in eastern Massachusetts and I think a couple in New Hampshire and/or Rhode Island.

Interesting observations about the color differences. Do you happen to have any access to the Canadian color charts, by chance? All I can find are the AutoColor Library, which is U.S.-spec only.

Charlie Larkin

Interesting observations about the color differences. Do you happen to have any access to the Canadian color charts, by chance? All I can find are the AutoColor Library, which is U.S.-spec only.

Charlie Larkin

I have the colour numbers and descriptions for all GM cars, but only for 1951. They are in a set of service bulletins for the Oshawa Factory from the later half of 1951...

• 2 months later...