Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1934 Ford Truck

Big_John

Posted (edited)

When I was a kid, one of the favorite models I did was the  AMT '34 Ford truck. It was a favorite for a couple reasons...  I liked the truck and it  was one of the first models I did where it didn't come out looking like a mess of glue and plastic.  I wish I had a picture of it... 

I bought a bagged kit at a model show last year.  The custom pieces were gone and my original intent was a slot drag car.  I got as far as cutting up the bed for motor clearance and it hit me that I really wanted to do something else with it.  So.... It sat for a year until I decided to do something with it.  

I looked around for inspiration and I decided to build a 50's style hot rod truck.  I found it with this truck.  Jay Everett's  truck was featured in the February 1951 issue of Hot Rod Magazine.  It has about everything I wanted with a mild chopped top, channeled body, custom built bed and smooth sided 3 piece hood. 

X9WHYUW.jpg

TQrlkMK.jpg

I couldn't come up with a color until I remembered the one I built as a kid was red... So this one should be too. I chopped the top 1/8" and that works out to ~3" and channeled the body  over the frame.  I wanted to keep it simple with no extensive detailing.  This model was intended for me to get back into modeling and not get hung up with a long project. 

HoiPVr7.jpg

ILjxOBt.jpg

Exrz0EY.jpg

No, the truck isn't crooked... It's my lack of photography skillz..

8tscsIu.jpg

dQF2eCj.jpg

Edited by Big_John
  • Like 3

Since I didn't have a good bed anymore, I resin printed one.  My own design, tunneled lights and license plate. 

V3YYYIg.jpg

The tonneau cover was printed on my filament printer. The texture was achieved by printing it face down on the mat. The mat's surface gives the texture. 

nJB304I.jpg

I also printed the wheels. There's also my first attempt for the bed. 

52dZYw2.jpg

While I said "no detailing", I did cut the generic exhaust manifolds and crossover pipe in favor of printed headers. 

Mms5JmG.jpg

GzrMqrl.jpg

The exhaust was made with aluminum craft wire with heat shrink tube as  the mufflers. In hind sight, I should have painted the mufflers another color besides black.

vqBzGXx.jpg

• Like 1

I also wanted a pleated bench seat, so I resin printed that too.  This, along with the tonneau and the wheels were painted with a light beige color that I mixed up with leftover Tamiya acrylics. 

1wf6iXO.jpg

I wanted a late 50's type steering wheel, like many of the customs from that era, so that got printed too and installed in the stock dash. The rest of the interior was painted flat red. 

daQkk6g.jpg

And a shot of fitting the pink primered body.

nNC0y1T.jpg

• Like 1