Model Cars Magazine Forum

used to have this stuff in the uk called modelstrip, discontinued now, made (I think) by a company called gaugemaster, but might be still able to find it online - designed for plastics and stuff like that. Works really well on plastic, glass, rubber, resin, whitemetal...

andy

What's goin' on...

I just recently took a resin hood from Griffen Desings and stripped it is CSC only for it to fall on the floor and I stepped on it. I thought it might soften the resin but in this case... it didn't.

Scott,

Why go through the trouble of stripping it if you're going to step on it? ;)

Les

Oh wait, I get it! Body mods are easier with the paint removed.

• 2 weeks later...

What ever happened to the excellent method of removing ENAMEL paint with LYE, just mix it in water and dunk the plastic in it. Pick it out the next day and into it with an old toothbrush, if there is still some paint on it, dunk it back in again.

Now this stuff, being mixed with water, - CAN - NOT - EVER - HARM - PLASTIC - OR - RESIN.

It does NOT work on acrylic paints, for that crud, you gunna need something a lot more toxic, yep ,that Castrol Super Clean normally removes that rubbish.

What can I use to strip the paint off of the resin hood?

I stripped a resin cab once with Super Clean. It came out looking okay, but the resin was sort of pliable, felt like the soft plastic they make toys out of. I left it out for a few days, and it seemed to recover most of it's old hardness. Been kind of leery ever since.

Modelhaus recommends Westley's Bleche White (tire cleaner).

Lee

Well guys, I ended up getting a gallon of Purple Power, a 4 gallon plastic drawer, and 2 gallons of water. I let the whole thing soak for a day and started peeling the paint off, a layer at a time. The whole project took about 4 days, but the resin hood feels just like it did to begin with. I also stripped another cab and hood, and a 64 1/2 Mustang. I did learn that you had better wear gloves, even diluted Diluting the Purple Power may take longer, but it works good. Will post some pics of the stuff I'm doing once I get my son in laws airbrush and get some paint down. Thinking about Mayflower green and yellow stripes, but still accepting suggestions, but not Allied orange, I don't want a big orange blob. Also working on a 377 with a 144" sleeper and a '94 379 ext hood 63" standup. The '94 is for my dad, the favorite truck he ever owned. Had an N-14 500 tweeked of course (putting out 650 hp to the ground) and it was purple. The 377 and '94 will both be curbside models. But eventually will do an '07 with a Signature 600 for him as well. But thanks all for the help, it was greatly appreciated.