Model Cars Magazine Forum

STP Turbine Car

S10man

Finally managed to get this one finished. This is the car that Andy Granatelli entered for the 1967 Indy 500. Designed by Ken Wallis, the car nearly won the race, defeated by a bearing failure with a handful of laps to go. You can read more about the car here:

http://stp50.com/uk/extra41.html

I added some details, such are brake lines, but basically it is out of the box. I replaced the kit decals with Indycals. Thanks for looking.

Turbinedone6.jpg

Turbinedone4.jpg

Turbinedone1.jpg

Great build of a beautiful car! As an Indy 500 nut, I love to see it finished!

What did you use for the exhaust? That golden / bronze metal look is very nice.

Thanks,

Thanks. I stripped the kit chrome, resprayed with Duplicolor chrome, then dry brushed with Testors gold.

• 4 years later...

I was at the 1967 Indy,and saw this run. It was nicknamed "Silent Sam". When it went by..it was very quiet...then the rest of the field went by...Sam was so far ahead of the pack,it caused them to pull it from the race.They didn't know if it was pulled,because of the bearing(and excuse),or because to keep from the protest that was comming up later.A big discussion to be sure !LOL! Nice build there.

Edited by Ron W.

A great build you have done there - I got one of these a while ago on Ebay and seeing the great job you've done here I'm encouraged to get it out and start building. There appears to be loads of these kits still lying around unmade in boxes so it's great to see it built. Like some others commenting here, I also remember the real thing - caused quite a stir at the time - (showing my age now!) it nearly pulled it off but for the failure of a $5 bearing three laps from home - what might have been!

Many Thanks again for sharing,

Cheers,

Paul

Edited by GO-figureit