Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP 1970 Challenger 426

John

I really like this kit and had trouble choosing the color and engine I was going to go with. I chose to do it in Top Bananna with black interior and graphics. I have replaced the kits 440 with a 426 from a 1970 Super Bee kit. The motor mount frame hangers had to be removed to fit the new engine in and I will have to remake the exhaust from the mufflers to the exhaust manifolds.

100_2085-vi.jpg

100_2087-vi.jpg

It's been way, way too long since I have built anything and it has taken some time to figure out what wires I needed and what are over kill. On the next one, I will do a few things different.

One of the biggest mistakes in modeling this cars is the painting of the headlight / grill area. The cars cam from the factory painted Argent Silver but, all replacement pieces were semi gloss black. This was common with all Mopar of the time. Due to this, most restored and photographed cars have this piece incorrect.

100_2086-vi.jpg

The body needs more sanding and another coat or two of paint. I will also be adding a rear wing spoiler, Magnum 500 rims and '71 R/T graphics as for this car, I'm building it as I would like to drive it.

the challenger is one of my alllll time favorite ones to build

the last one i did was a 426 hemi aswell which i build as a christmass present for my father in law

as a mather of fact, i was just today working on my "sardine challenger"

at any rate, back to your build

i like the colour, was the a stock option ?

it looks good and it is nice to see a muscle car from that era in something that isnt plumcrazysublime (no offence)

one more question though, you are number 1186 and you only have 7 post ?

whats up with that ?

(if you dont mind me asking)

I have seen some many beautiful color combos I have a small list of some I would consider doing:

White w/Blue interor and Blue RT side stripe

White w/Black (Vanishing Point)

Sub-Lime w/Black, Black RT side and hood graphics, painted bumpers and rear spoiler

Go-Mango w/Burnt Orange R/T,S/E body with Black top black hood graphic and yellow Bumble Bee stripe

Red w/White (red carpet), White hood and side graphics

I could go on and on.

To diymirage

I forgot about the forum here and that is why so few posts.

I dont' understand what your asking here "was the a stock option ?" I think your asking if the options I'm going with were available on the real car. Well the rims, spoiler and engine were. As for the graphics, I've seen '70-'74 with the '71 R/T Graphics and they look good on all of them.

Edited by John

Finishing up the engine compartment took a little longer than I though, but I'm happy with how it looks now. As I said, a few changes on the next one but a good learning experiance.

100_2097-vi.jpg

I'm only putting on the rear tires until the body is mounted so I can get the ride height I'm looking for. The Magnum 500 rims show a red-orange color though the slots and it looks a little over done in the photo but good in person.

100_2099-vi.jpg

Next the my '70 is one of the new AMT '09 Challenger R/T's. I'm trying to get both done together as a new/old combo. Both will be Top Bannana w/ Black interior and '71 style R/T stripes. The '09 has these stripes as an option. The only thing the AMT kit is missing for a nice shelf build is a set of breaks. The larger open wheels on todays car really require something to fill the space. I used a set of Resin pieces from Mike's Scale Speed Shop.

100_2101-vi.jpg

I hope your enjoying reading about my project as much as I'm having doing it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update the progress on my Old School / New School Challenger Project. While the bodies we being painted and drying, I did some interior work on the 2009. I added the kit gauges, radio face and Challenger dash logo and used some pieces from the Mike's Scale Speed Shop/JWTBM Charger/Super Bee/300C sheet. These include the R/T logos on the seats and steering wheel posts and center logo.

100_2108-vi.jpg

100_2104-vi.jpg

I also cracked open another 1970 kit and built up a 440 Single Baral for a future build.

100_2105-vi.jpg

100_2106-vi.jpg

I also added the HEMI decal to the air cleaner cover and painted the headlight buckets in the grill chrome silver.

100_2111-vi.jpg