Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 512s 10/29/06

MonoPed

One of these days, I'll learn to leave things as they are, and stop trying to re-invent the wheel. This is not that day. Since this is a curbside kit, it comes with an insert to represent the intake velocity stacks under the rear glass. I decided to make a new insert from a piece of .040" evergreen sheet and some 1/8" aluminum tube, polished and flared with a center punch. Once the insert and surrounding panels are painted, it should look real nice.

512s-intake-1.jpg

Ferrari-512s-09.jpg

Ferrari-512s-08.jpg

First class, as usual, Brian. Please tell me how you get the inside of those trumpets polished so nicely. Mine never come out looking that good. :cry:

Thanx for the comments guys!!

I tried something new this time out. I made them the same way as I did for the Donohue Cobra, but this time I dressed the tip of the punch with a fine grinding wheel in the Dremel to get it as smooth as I could. I also hit it with the buffing wheel that had a little Novus left on it from polishing the aluminum tube. I gotta admit that I am a bit surprised at the lack of tool marks inside the flares, but I ain't gonna compain :-)