Model Cars Magazine Forum

official WIP drift car build off thread

diymirage

why would you want to cut it up ?

regardless, just do it :o

To make it look like a retro version of the Newer Skyline I posted a picture of, and to do that it would require cutting into the body to extend all four fenders, and the front area for the aftermarket grill I have.

To make it look like a retro version of the Newer Skyline I posted a picture of, and to do that it would require cutting into the body to extend all four fenders, and the front area for the aftermarket grill I have.

love the old style Skylines, just ask Mr Zinn :lol:

It would look perty cool as a modern Classic.

No big update really, I am fixing the chassis for the right ride height. This involved shortening the CV shafts from the Diff, which sucked cause as soon as an amount of pressure was placed on the axle, it literally fell right off, so instead of repeating same mistakes, I made the cuts to shorten the axle length then glued the first halves back on the Diff, now letting that dry before I glue the outer half together.

This will be sweet cause I lowered the rear end a bit, and as it was before the rear quarter literally rested on the rear tire, now the rear tire will tuck in rather nicely.

Just felt I would give an update.

Edited by The Red Ranger

I haven't touched my Smart lately. I've got it all spread out on the work bench just waiting for my lazy hands to get to work. I wasn't satisfied with the white paint job on it as it's not as bright and glossy as I'd like it to be. I have yet to work on the Honda Civic V-tec engine for it either.

I'm wondering if we can do this build off in any scale?

I'm tempted by a 1/18 scale Smart 4-2 I saw listed on ebay that's already got a beautiful white body kit for it. As you know, most of these models of Smart 4-2's have optional body panels for changing the color like the real deal. The 1/18 comes in black with white body parts. I have a set of really nice chrome 1/18 scale wheels that might look good on it if their not too big for the Smart. Will need to find an appropriate 1/18 scale engine for it.

I'm thinking 1/18 cause it'll give me more room to work with and possibly more details Plus, I think all the doors would open?

So let me know if I can do the 1/18 scale version. Also, when is our dead line? That may be an issue for me.

Here are pic's of the 1/24 scale model.

DSC09710.jpg

Engine parts and possible wheels?

DSC09711.jpg

I seemed to have lost my hobby knife. Will have to go to the LHS and get some supplies. Perhaps find a brighter glossier white as well.

Edited by FujimiLover

what diameter solder do you use ?

and how do you attach it, just drill a hole in the head and a drop of superglue ?

its roughly 1/8" in diamter. as for attatching it, thats kinda where i fudge it. if the car doesnt have one of my turbos on it (same diamter) i just glue the end of the solder to the header with super glue, after getting all the bends right and such. its doesnt look the best, but for me it works.

well, i didn't get much done, these pics are just test fitting the parts! but its progress no matter what!

100_0341.jpg

100_0342.jpg

and here is the markings i made one the body where i have to modify it!

100_0340.jpg

100_0339.jpg

here is some more test fitting!

100_0343.jpg

100_0350.jpg

100_0351.jpg

wide wheels calls for wide fenders!!!!! :lol: !!!!!

I brought in the wheels on the rear so they fit comfortably within the rear fenders. I have the molding line sanded completely off. I am now going to cut into the body to widen the front fenders, and a portion of the rear fenders.

WIP007.jpg

WIP006.jpg

WIP005.jpg

SkylineandRims003.jpg

Skyline020.jpg

I will also be adding the front bumper as part of the body kit. It is coming along smoothly.

i am working on mine as we speak

i decided that the rear engine deserves a radiator aswell

(one of the reasons i didnt go turbo is because i have nowhere to put the radiator AND the IC)

those of you who remember the fiasco where i tried to wire a certain ford engine will recognize the radiator hoses :D

Those rim's are cool, but not exactly my style. Plus, I dont' think they'd go well with a carbon-clad body.

The wheel well's on the Smart model are very small and I dont' know if I can stuff aftermarket wheels on it. Actually, I'm thinking of useing the wheels I had intended for the Veilside MR2. They are perfect width, and have the right sized profile-tire to suit the Smart.

DSC09483.jpg

DSC09484.jpg

Tomarrow I plan on going to the LHS and picking up several sheets of SMS's CF decal for the body. The fenders do cover up most of the wheels.

Nice start on your SMART :D .

Bought me a couple of these a few years ago and finished one.

Raised the front fenders, and scratch-built the side skirts.

Not a drift car, but it sure was fun.

2008_0416Photobucket10015.jpg

allright guys i got some work done on the RSX today

it is no where near but at least it is looking like a car now

we still got a long way to and a short time to get there

but

were gonna do wht they say cant be done

(name that movie)

at any rate

i got a chance to take her down to the thunder alley to do some track testing

IMG00117-20090816-0016.jpg

IMG00118-20090816-0017.jpg