Model Cars Magazine Forum

Streamliner - where to weather?

I'm building this ting at the minute, and I wanna give it a bit of weathering, like it's been on the salt:

IMGP3574-vi.jpg

Thing is, I cant work out where this thing would actually get 'salty'. I'm guessing behind the wheels makes sense, but they're all covered over, so that wont add a lot to it. Would it get salt up the sides too? Anyone got any pics of a salt-weathered streamliner, fresh from Bonneville? Need some ideas.

Once I've got those ideas, I need to work out what to use - Tamiya flat white acrylic, unthinned, through an airbrush, to give a fine mist perhaps? Help!

Also, I'm trying to work out what class this would run in. Any ideas anyone?

Gonna post this on a coupla forums to get some ideas...

Just a guess, but I don't think you'd see much salt buildup at all. At most maybe a subtle coating of white dust. And I'm sure that after every run the car would be wiped clean before it made another run. Since the wheels are totally enclosed, you're not going to see much "weathering" on this at all.

That's kinda of what I thought Harry - maybe a little on the underside like you say, but there's absolutely no detail under there whatsoever so that's going to be as dark and hidden away as possible.

Good to see that some agrees with my assumptions anyway :angry:

I've got no pix, but I do know that there can be a lot of wet areas out there and the salt will build up just like the slush and stuff back in the snowbelt. Of course they knock off as much as possible after a run, but the stuff can really accumulate in the wheelwells and the lower body even when the wheels are fully enclosed. So if you turn out to have added too little, you can just claim it was one of the drier years, too much and you just haven't cleaned it off yet, you are good either way!

Edited by samdiego

I've got no pix, but I do know that there can be a lot of wet areas out there and the salt will build up just like the slush and stuff back in the snowbelt. Of course they knock off as much as possible after a run, but the stuff can really accumulate in the wheelwells and the lower body even when the wheels are fully enclosed. So if you turn out to have added too little, you can just claim it was one of the drier years, too much and you just haven't cleaned it off yet, you are good either way!

A lot of the cars I've looked at for research seem to collect it on the front too. Not sure how - surely it doesnt get moved until they roll over it with the front wheels, but it's there!