Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Project Finished!

I haven't worked on a specific project since the beginning of the month. Just tinkering on other things here and there.

Last week I started a new project, a Peterbilt 365 SBFA. Using fenders from the Spaulding Trading and Shipping 357 SBFA hood and a

scratchbuilt hood shell I managed to make a close representation of a 365 SBFA hood. I actually made two hoods - it seems it is just as much work to make two as it is to make one.

365hoodshells52409.jpg

The base kit is the Italeri Peterbilt 377A/E. I modified the cab sides for the newer window shape, cut a daycab panel from sheet plastic, cut out the rear window and cut side corner windows into the cab.

365cab52709.jpg

The frame is an inverted fishbelly (raises up aft of the cab). I used Evergreen channel for the rails. Evergreen square tube was used for the crossmembers.

365fishbelly.jpg

The dump body is scratchbuilt from sheet plastic.

365primedtowhiterear53109.jpg

I'm not sure what I will decide for the final outcome - color, wheels, polished items, etc. I'm leaning towards something like this

orangepullingingActive101608.jpg

Stay tuned!

Thanks for looking

Additional photos and information is on This Page.

Tim

Edited by mackinac359

Kurt, you're right, it has been over a year since I've built a dumper, not counting the box stock Ford LNT8000 I did for Stevens.

Tim

Tim,

We'll its about "time" for another dump truck build..this one will be "SWEET !!!!"

I'd say go with the orange..you don see too many of those....

Look forward to seeing more...

Kurt

Tim, what ever colour it is I know that this tipper will be another one of your fantastic models & I must say that you have inspiced me to stick to one make of truck and build it with different styles so I have decide it's going to be Mack's sorry Tim.

Dingo :)

Tim

I hope this isn't to late....

Pushers

We call the center axles "Pushers" on the Super 18's and Simple 16's we have at our company.

image895.jpg

image806.jpg

The truck backed into the "Paver" is Super 18...You can barely see the "Strong Arm" peeking over the top of the box in back!

Jeff.T

Edited by Jeff T.

Bryan

The inverted fishbelly rail is an option. I had never seen it before until I saw this truck.

D773572367Invertedfishbelly.jpg

Tim

Tim: I've seen variable section frames before but never an "inverted fishbelly" where the frame rises aft of the cab. Is this something you saw on one of your visits to the Peterbilt factory?

Bryan

It's all about tonnage when it comes to these trucks...

Super 18's can go out the gate at 80,000 pounds. My Pete's empty weight would hover around 30,000 pounds.

Most are capable of 25 tons with a clean box...The new Pete's that K&H are building use a new smaller/lighter pusher system and the new "Maxle....are capable 26.5 tons.

Clicky for Maxle...

They have shaved a lot of weight off these trucks. My guess would be the "Inverted Fish Belly" is one way of doing this.

Jeff T.

Jeff: I did some work in Phoenix, AZ in 2004 and visited the Rush Peterbilt dealership there. I was told they were spec'ing single 11-5/8" frames for Super 18s then. Recently, I noticed a couple Super 18s on Rush's web site showing the frame spec as a single 13-3/8" frame. This makes me wonder if they took the "low tare weight" thing a little too far with the single 11-5/8" frame spec.

I've researched the Maxle booster axle and Strong Arm booster axle quite a bit. They're both really interesting pieces of engineering and I would like to model each of them in the future. The two are quite different from each other. However, there was a pretty nasty patent-infringement lawsuit that went on for years between the developer of the Strong Arm and the developer of the Maxle.

Bryan

Bryan

This was a main concern of ours as drivers...At what point does the frame loose it's strength?

When doing "Paving" you are almost always on level ground...Delivering aggregate, you can twist these trucks beyond belief!

Jumping ditches and footings they creak and groan. I always wait for the loud bang when the frame breaks!

Tim,sorry to Hi-Jack your thread....

Jeff T.

Tim, I continue to be impressed (blown away is more like it) by your scratchbuilding, and altering of kits into completely different trucks. Also the sheer number of builds amazes me. You are a true master model maker. Here is a photo of my most recent ride. It's a 2000 Pete 378 triaxle with a cobra dump body. it has a 500 hp Cat and a 8LL trans. Best truck I ever had.

tc306.jpg

It hopefully will one day be the subject of one of my model projects.

Edited by N1095A

• 4 weeks later...

After almost a month - the big orange 365 is finally finished.

Peterbilt_365left62809.jpg

365_zoomed_62809.jpg

365JUISlogo62809.jpg

365withtext62809.jpg

Thanks to Kurt McLucas for the Alcoa logos and the dump body decal logos.

I used resin parts from Kit Form Services (front wheels and tires, rear lugged tires).

AITM for the battery box (modified to look like the newer style box).

Resin headlamps.

More pics are on my site on the In Progress/Recent Builds page at Tims Trucks.com

Thanks for looking.

Tim

Really looks good Tim and another big ol' feather in your cap. Tip of the glue cap to you.

I couldn't quite make out the name of the decal paper you used. Was it the film that wouldn't lay flat and is this a decal paper to stay away from? :lol: The reason I ask is that I make most of my own decals?

Win

Tim,

Another "fine" creation.

Thank you for the "plug" on the decals...on the BMF decal paper? When did you get your batch? I had a batch not too long ago..that was horrible!!

Would not lay correct..and "curled" real bad.

Orange..HUH, real unique.

May I ask..picking your brain again...what did you use for the bottom of your mirror mounts..onto the cowl?

Thanks, Kurt

Kurt

I've had the BMF paper for about a year.

The mirror mount is square tube with one side cut open (so the square tube will slide over the mirror arm).

Tim

Tim,

Another "fine" creation.

Thank you for the "plug" on the decals...on the BMF decal paper? When did you get your batch? I had a batch not too long ago..that was horrible!!

Would not lay correct..and "curled" real bad.

Orange..HUH, real unique.

May I ask..picking your brain again...what did you use for the bottom of your mirror mounts..onto the cowl?

Thanks, Kurt