Model Cars Magazine Forum

Warehouse Office Diorama finished

customcreator

Well, might not be new to some of you, but here goes. I make dioramas for action figures, as I don't build model cars. This past go around I grabbed some DecoArt "fake snow" paste for winter scene building.

I plastered the styrofoam walls with it then hit it with a sponge brush and some paint.

Came out pretty good(IMO) I'll let the pictures do the talking

here are the snapshots:

Simulating "daylight" with a lamp shining through the faded "glass" of the window:

IMG_3011.jpg

With flash

IMG_3010.jpg

Blurry close-up of the desk:

IMG_2997.jpg

Another closer pic:

IMG_3012.jpg

Edited by customcreator

I am cutting and pasting this construction journal from another site because I am lazy. Ed suggested showing the construction process, so here it is(mostly) Some things have changed, and some remained. I started this project in November of 08

Early shots here, got the walls mocked up along with the door(non functioning) and laid down the dreaded wooden floor. Still need to weather/stain the floor. All rough edges will be trimed out(as you can see) the door will also have trim. Stay tuned!

Bear in mind, this is supposed to be an old warehouse floor, so I didn't mind some of the gaps between the wood. Some of what looks like gaps are actually colored ends from the hobby shops color coding for price.

IMG_2204.jpg

IMG_2206.jpg

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_2210.jpg

IMG_2212.jpg

Here is a table I scratched built tonight

IMG_2230.jpg

IMG_2232.jpg

IMG_2231.jpg

Made a bulletin board out of some craft cork and wood(obviously). Wood will be painted and maps and such will be printed out and tacked up.

IMG_2235.jpg

Don't mind my ape hand...lol Showing where it will be adhered to the wall

IMG_2236.jpg

Put in a window. I will add a "frosted" piece of plastic to the back so it's not see-through. The top half was broken, so I added a piece of wood. Searching for some TEENY fans to put in, mimicking vent fans. Also started messing with exposed brick. The walls will be fake "stucco" with brick showing. The left side brick is the wrong way, I know.

CopyofIMG_2234.jpg

IMG_2233.jpg

IMG_2239.jpg

Today we have all the baseboard trim, door trim, and "tin" ceiling installed. Not sure if I am going to add ceiling trim, but I probably will.

All walls are fully removable if I ever decide to sell this thing, I like my stuff to be able to be broken down for shipping.

Anyway, here are the pics

The trim looks black in the pics, but it's a dark gray

IMG_2263.jpg

Ceiling shot:

IMG_2264.jpg

Trim/ceiling shot.

IMG_2265.jpg

This will be a "gun case" for some of the weapons in the Sigma world. I have created a frame for the front(still has glue drying) The front frame will have wire mesh simulating a type of chicken wire protective front. As you can see, they will attach via magnets. Of course painted.

IMG_2277.jpg

I will use either clear acrylic rod, or the dowel you see here to support a few weapons. Nothing big, but just enough detail

IMG_2279.jpg

Small update here. Painted the door(will weather and add accessories) and started placing where I want exposed brick. I will be covering the walls with "snow" mortar that looks like concrete and is paintable. Also painted and affixed the cork board. Enjoy!

IMG_2376.jpg

THE BLUE LIGHTS DIDN'T PAN OUT AS EXPECTED

Ok, installed all my lighting, still have to adjust the blue LEDs for the weapons case and decide wether or not to keep the outer "security" cage on it.

I used 4 cold cathode lights for the rafters, gives enough light. Please note that all pictures were taken in the dark corner of my workspace with only the lights of the dio lighting it up. No flash on the inside shots.

IMG_2397.jpg

The wiring for the weapons case(behind it) Glued battery pack to wood and added a switch

IMG_2405.jpg

Main shot with Cold Cathodes

IMG_2402.jpg

Cathodes themselves

IMG_2399.jpg

Wiring for cathodes which I will clean up and mount the transformers and toggle switch....getting there!

IMG_2404.jpg

Also got the floor mostly done, added a kickplate to the door and dirtied it up a bit.

Couple more teaser shots

Came up with this idea the other night. I had this little lamp thing laying around, not sure where it came from:

IMG_3014.jpg

I drilled out the bottom of it

So I grabbed one of the "55 gallon drums" and put my battery holder and wiring in there. Then drilled a hole out in the table for the LED. I only had one switch lying around, so I installed that in the top of the drum to turn on and off. It's easily accessible to change the batteries.

IMG_3017.jpg

IMG_3019.jpg

The end result:

IMG_3021.jpg

Sort of "Night-Opish" if you will. Not to functional, but will make for some cool pics....

• 1 month later...

Well, here it is. I am calling this done because anything else will make it too crowded, and I am burned out on this thing with 2 other dioramas in my head...lol

Enjoy the pictures. As you will be able to see, I can easily change this from a Joe "office" to a Cobra "office" by replacing a couple of accessories and turning the crate around. That way, I can use it for pictures of both sides.

Also, Beachead is a commission I just finished today so he's helping with the pictures.

COBRA STYLE

IMG_3162.jpg

IMG_3163.jpg

JOE STYLE

IMG_3199.jpg

IMG_3200.jpg

RANDOM SHOTS

IMG_3166.jpg

IMG_3169.jpg

IMG_3189.jpg

Truly a labor of love, and a REALLY long time....lol. Onto the next!!

Hope you all enjoyed my journey, and I also hope you'll enjoy my next adventure!

Edited by customcreator