Model Cars Magazine Forum

What color of primer to use?

I'm going to use gray thanks for nothing.

So you waited a full 19 minutes, and didn't get one single word of advice. We're no help at all, are we? :D And to answer your question: Grey is better than black as a base for gold. but I'd rather use white.

So you waited a full 19 minutes, and didn't get one single word of advice. We're no help at all, are we? :D And to answer your question: Grey is better than black as a base for gold. but I'd rather use white.

Well I'm sorry I was in desprite need of help and I was losing light by the second so I needed an answer. thanks.

Well I'm sorry I was in desprite need of help and I was losing light by the second so I needed an answer. thanks.

So, is today your last day to build models? Are you giving it up or is there tomorrow? Just kidding you....relax!!

I just saw your post (after a long day) and wanted to throw my 2 Cents in....I have seen the same color show up as different shades because of the primer color and I have had the best results with white than any other color. But seeing as how you were in a hurry, I thought I would offer you a tip that would prevent any haste movements. Go to the dollar store (or Wal mart, the $2 store) and grab a bag of 100 white plastic spoons. On the inside of the spoon, where you would normally put your Capt'n Crunch, write what mix of paint and primer you used while on the back of the spoon spray your test pattern. The curve of the spoon will give you an idea as to how the color will look on the model (instead of a flat spray out sheet) and if you ever have to repair a model, you will have a record as to the mix and how you did it. If you drill a hole in the handle of the spoon, you can hang it up, color side out, and have your own "paint chip" rack, and when you want a particular color, you look at your spoons, grab the one you like, and turn it over and read how you mixed that color. This might help you in the future. And when you just can't get the answer you want, grab 3 spoons, shoot one grey, one white, one black primer, then your gold on all three. That would be much quicker than 19 minutes of wait!! :rolleyes:

David