Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ground Pounder

old-hermit

Thanks for all the compliments guys. Hope ya heal up soon nitro.

OK Harry, heres some details.

It started out as a Deuce kit but then took on a life of it's own. I modified the front suspension by cutting the spring off the axle and mounting it 1.25 inches back onto the radius rods. This lowered the axle and moved it forward of the radiator. I had to cut off the forward frame horns and then the front shocks were repositioned to a realistic working position. I Z'd the rear of the frame half an inch to slam it on the ground and had to shorten the rear of the frame to fit under the body. I modified a radiator from a Lindy T kit to work on the Deuce. The dash, intake and headers are custom resin pieces I got from friends on largescalemodeler.com. The windshield is resin from e bay and is bolted on with 00-90 bolts from the underside of the cowl. I made one valve cover on my mill and cast a pair in resin. The Desoto decals are from Rick Gondeck. I took the kit air cleaners and cut them down in my lathe just enough to paint white and put household screen wire for webbing. I painted the body gloss black then applied the pinstripe decals. The next day I sprayed it with Krylon Matte finish to dull it out. I cut the kit seat on the bottom and top to shorten it enough to fit and the upholstery is three indian blankets from Deuce kits glued over shortened Deuce interior panels. A few more odds & ends from the junk box and it's done.

If ya got any more questions please ask. I'll answer as best as I can.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the background info!

Now, one more thing: get some clamps on that radiator hose before you spray coolant all over the place! ;)

I make mine out of strips of aluminum sheet, with the screw part made of some wire insulation painted silver. The "screw head" is a pinhead.

alfaprogress1.jpg

I'm too cheap to buy flashing. I cut strips out of an old pie pan!!! ;)

I reroofed my shop about 8 years ago and had two partial rolls left over.

I've got enough to keep me in 1/8 hose clamps for quite a few years to come. heh heh heh

• 3 weeks later...